Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > New Electric Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
eric_pwb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Electric Build

I have been kit brewing for about 4 years now, and I have decided to make the jump to all grain. I have been lurking around here for about a year reading up on all grain brewing, and have just recently decided to start looking into equipment.

I have decided to go with a cooler based mash tun and an electric brew kettle, as I consider propane to be a PITA for my situation. I am well versed in the field of combining electricity and water, as I build in-ground swimming pools and install spas for a living.

My question is, is there any reason that I should consider converting an actual kettle or stock pot, over converting a 1/2bbl keg, as I know that I can get a legally obtained keg decommissioned keg on the cheap, and have it cut and welded for a couple of cases of homebrew.

I intend on doing only 5 gallon batches, and there will likely be some big beers brewed with this equipment. Also I intend to be able to run on only 115V, likely 2 or 3 15A circuits, as I really don't think the landlord would like me to re-wire my apartment.

Thanks,
Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you absolutely know you will never do more than 5 gallon batches I'd skip the keggle. They are heavy, cumbersome and harder to clean than a regular kettle. I curse every time I have to clean those beasts.

Pool spa heater, I remember the one I had for my pool, that would be an awesome set up for a HLT. That thing was a monster heater. I guess it wouldn't fly in an apartment however.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Eric,

Some questions for you. Do you have a washer/dryer setup in your apartment? Do you have an electric stove in your apartment? (Re: the stove - I'm referring to a free standing stove, not a cook top and a wall oven.) If you have either of these available you can easily go electric.

Let us know.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 for finding a 240v circuit in the apartment. It allows you to be far more flexible in your design.

A 15 amp circuit limits you to 1500 watt elements, and even with just 5 gallon batches, that's going to be pretty slow with less than 2 or 3. Though I've never used a heat stick, I would imagine that 3 of them in a 10 gallon pot would be a pain to keep out of your way. You could, however, hard mount 2 or 3 in a single pot to get around that.

If you do have a 240v 30 amp circuit available you can go as high as 6000 watts at one time - This will shorten your brew day quite a bit.

If you do want to build for just 5 gallons, I would recommend a regular pot as 15 gallon kegs are going to have quite a bit of waste due to the shape of the bottom of the kettle and trub. It's more negligible in a 10 gallon batch.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Depending on how you want to do the drain a keggle can be very nice. My plan for the next brewery is a bottom drain using the Tri-Clamp valve on the top of the keg, will be cutting the bottom out flush with the sides.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'll just throw this in - if you're convinced you want to stick with 110V - consider taking a peek at Jkarp's countertop setup. You might not get 5 gallon batches out of it, but I think for an apartment sized 110V setup, it's about as slick as it gets.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/coun...1/#post1476569

Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mine is plugged into the dryer outlet, runs my 5500 watt element and pid just fine.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Thanks for the input everyone.

I had previously considered 240v, as I do have an electric range on a 40A breaker(not GFCI), but the thought of ultimate mobility somehow ended up in my mind where I could travel and use to separate 15A circuits to do the job. However after considering the advice from here I will likely go with 240v from my range plug, as I want to build everything to have the ability to do 10 gallon batches when and if the mood strikes. In which case it seems that the keg is a pretty cost effective way to start.

Thanks again,

Eric

Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you have a 30amp, you can use one of these power cables, it has the GFCI built in and it is 17', not a bad deal. I made an offer of 60 and got it for 66.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30A-Ground-Fault...item5196f7b278

My hop stopper

Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
If you have a 30amp, you can use one of these power cables, it has the GFCI built in and it is 17', not a bad deal. I made an offer of 60 and got it for 66.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30A-Ground-Fault...item5196f7b278
I'd be curious to know if these things a really a quality item. Not an area where I want to save a few $$$ and find out it didn't work. Did this item trip and save anybody from frying? We need a tester!

Quick Reply