New Basement Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Ive been updating Kal's site but I'll also post here. New basement build is underway. Kal inspired, 20G HLT, 15G MLT, 15G BK, chugger pumps, all hardware from Bobby_M (awesome stuff), Kal Kit is on order along with the diy rtd probes. I also plumbed in dedicated water supply and a 1/2" vinyl waste line was added that runs under the benches and over to the sink. Everything has stainless camlocks.

It all started as a nasty moldy room in the basement that I ripped the wall down to open the space. Its coming along nicely now, cant wait to get the panel built.

GFCI protection comes from a 30A GFCI Breaker in the main panel. The only downside to this brewhouse location is the sink is around the corner, but ill manage. The basement has a floor drain and all storage is off the floor in the path water would take if I really needed to hose it out after a big spill.

Edit: fixed the images and got rid of dumb imageshack links

1y8k.jpg

l0gq.jpg

jwke.jpg

oyla.jpg

691l.jpg

gwmv.jpg

45n4.jpg

1wcc.jpg

1wcc.jpg

k5h9.jpg

oi6r.jpg

vb0f.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/79/0jrg.jpg
jmu6.jpg

Haha seriously, it was gross.

And I know I've said it on your forum but thanks again for all the work you put into your site and your products.

Thanks guys. And yes those are from bobby. Awesome product, I purchased the kit that comes with the locknut and oring. Water tight the first time with my camco ripple elements. He even includes the ring terminals and shrink tubing

My DIY kit from Kal showed up friday, I had them pre-punch it.

Got it all wired up over Saturday and today, also got my 3 temp probes installed. The wiring is a bit of a mess right now, I didnt want to lock it all down without knowing it worked, but I heated some water today! Cant wait to get the first brew going next weekend.

A special thanks to Kal and Mike for getting this all out to me, the parts and kit are top notch. Ill be sure to post some brewery pics when its all mounted.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Looks more like the inside of my panel than most ( messy) I figured as long as I kept wires off the ssr, heat sink and fan I'd be OK and it would work just as well as if I spent all they time bundling everything.

I will likely start another panel soon since I have a lot of extra parts and a friend that turned me on to brewing who's still using propane has told me he wants to go electric but don't know where to start. Maybe I'll be neat and tidy building that one... I will certainly improve my panel layout.
Anyways.... looks good as Kal said, Time to brew!

Indeed, first time through is tough getting it all organized. There's enough slack to bundle stuff later on, but as you and Kal said...time to brew! It really is exciting to see bubbles form on the element the first time.

Curious.. why is your volt meter showing 000, while the unit is on? Looks great though!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

two brews under my belt. Still working out the exact brewhouse numbers but efficiency was 88% for 7 gallons post boil, but im really shooting for 6 gallons so I ended up dumping a bit down the drain. I love the control of the whole setup and hitting temperatures every time is amazing. I find myself looking for things to do because the process is so simple now. Couldn't be happier with the way the whole thing came together. A few more pictures:

3uj2.jpg

hs08.jpg

1hhx.jpg

e7s2.jpg

izjo.jpg

e1w5.jpg

Looking real good.

You posted a picture of the drain in your fan, have you found that this is necessary because the steam was condensing in fan, or is it just a precaution?

I just hung my fan, but I did not drill a drain hole. I may need to add one.

Yea I collect probably a quarter gallon of condensation. I had to also tape the crap out of the 90* duct and put duct insulation on to stop the condensation in the ducts. The basement is 57 degrees right now, and only 48% humidity, though, so your results may be less extreme

Thanks for the input, a quarter gallon is way more than I was expecting to hear, looks like I need to add a drain.

So three beers under the belt. Using this brewery is amazing, everything goes so smooth. Im at exactly the same total brew day time that i was at with a batch sparge /propane setup even after adding a 60 minute fly sparge.

my calculated Mash efficiency is 95%, however my brewhouse efficiency is only about 78-80%. Im not overly concerned about this number as long as its consistent, but what does everyone else with similar setups see? Does your brewhouse number drop considerably from your mash number? It has to be losses in the system, and im guessing its mostly due to my 25' chiller and hoses. I may try a tip I saw Bobby_M post and dump a gallon or so of water into the kettle at the very end to flush the chiller.

Ok might sound like a total noob but what plans did u use for your tables, I'm a rookie but want to build something like that in my basement

Yea I collect probably a quarter gallon of condensation. I had to also tape the crap out of the 90* duct and put duct insulation on to stop the condensation in the ducts. The basement is 57 degrees right now, and only 48% humidity, though, so your results may be less extreme

Thanks for posting the drain idea. It's been a real pain draining my fan. Now I'll be adding drain thanks for the tip

I love the way you converted that space. You must be single. Brew on!

Haha not single. Fiancé who bought my first beer kit, so she's to blame for the start of this sickness

The tables were just improv as I went. I'll be glad to take some measurements for you if you want, I think I have the cad drawing still as well. It makes for a functional space while still having plenty of storage. The lower table height for the kettles was key, and the cement board is a perfect material to hold the kettles as it's mold proof and absorbs liquid without sacrificing integrity after getting wet

Latest posts

Back