New Basement Brewery Build
Hello everyone, I have been a viewer of this forum for quite a while but just signed up.
I have been brewing for about 5 years and have brewed with almost ever technique out there. (with BIAB) as the only exception.
I wanted to share and document my current project (which is already underway) with the other electric brewers out there.
My old electric system was a RIMS system with Propane burner.
Then after studying and studying Kal's sight I decided to go with a HERMS system.
Here is a photo of my previous system.
I built the control box out of wood, and used PID's from Auber Instruments.
It worked pretty well but I found that I had a TON of steam coming from the kettle so much so that it would fill the garage. See photo...lol
(The mash paddle warrior is a brewing friend of mine over for the brew day)
This lead me to look at ways to exhaust the steam. After some pleading with the wife to allow me to move my brewery into the basement..... The journey began...
Location of the basement brewery.
With the raw site I had a few things that I wanted to have in the space.
1. A floor drain
2. A sink
3. A ventilation system
First thing is to install the floor drain. My plumbing was in a perfect spot to be able to tie into it. Here's how it went.
Broke out the old skill saw with a masonry blade. (from a previous concrete project)
In a somewhat vain attempt to keep the dust down I thought I would put up plastic around the construction site. (did not help much at all!!)
Rough opening cut out completed. (note the dust hanging in the air!!)
Being the DIYer that I am I thought I would use a cold chisel and sledge hammer and bust the concrete up by hand..... eeehhh not so much, the photo is about an hour and a half work... cussing, sweating, etc...
So I called in reinforcements from the local Home Depot rental center!!
Now that is more like it!!!
... to be continued!!
Good lord, you went at reinforced concrete with hand tools...brave man and now probably a pretty back sore man.
Looking forward to watching the build all the best
So the hole was in the ground and plumbing could begin
I had to dig about another foot down below the gravel under the concrete. Boy is the water table high at my house... no wonder the sump pump is always running!!
not quite as much digging on the other end but still had ground water seeping up.
Here I have the "p" trap installed and some pipe extending it up to near where the drain tile will be.
Here is how the other end looks. Used a rubber coupling and band clamp aparatus to join to the main line. The other end is glued. Oh and the pipe at the top of the photo is the drain for my sink.
Here is a photo of the complete drain assy.
So here is a photo of the drain grate installed and the hole filled with concrete. Well partially filled.... of course I had about 15lbs too little of concrete... jump back in the truck and head back to home depot... ARGH
There now it is completely filled!! :)
Floor drain is done!!
Next 2 coats of drylock on the wall. Although I will be studding and putting backer board up I thought it was a good idea to seal the poured walls first.. what a PITA!!! about a gallon and a 1/4 to do the whole space
After using the wooden box, I wanted to make things a little more sturdy and professional looking, not to mention being able to ground everything.
I decided to go with the box that is sold by Auber Instruments. It comes with precut holes for 3 PID's and also a heatsink rated for up two 60 amp SSR's
Here is the heat sink.
Here is the bottom all my holes are drilled for the twist lock plugs, and RTD probe connections.
Ready for paint
Paint is completed!! looks snazzy.. I went with a hammered finish silver.
Go big or go home! You aren't messing around. Subscribed for what appears to be a great build!
I would have been satisfied just seeing a completed floor drain...even that makes me jealous. Subbed for the rest, looks great!
|All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.