Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > New all-grain system recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
DoWBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 26

High Gravity Brewing have some nice all-electric systems. They also sell all of the components if want to build something piecemeal or integrate with existing equipment.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...=42&Submit.y=7

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

1- Yes to wood.
2. I agree with Black - go with 2. You'll definitely find that recirculating water through your BK for strike water, and HLT (if you're going with a HERMS) is a must to prevent temperature stratification.
3. I'd go with weldless, unless you or someone you trust knows how to properly weld stainless. If you install weldless correctly (a bit of trial and error), you shouldn't have to touch them again.
5 - +1 to 240 (Black is spot-on). However, if you intend to go with a 50 AMP system, running 2X 5500W + pumps will draw too much. So, if you want to simultaneously heat water in two vessels, plan for 4500W. Plenty of power for 10 gal batches. It will just take a few minutes longer then running 5500W.

Good luck!

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a 50 amp system and can run both 5500w elements and two pumps. Never had a problem.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

BWN is completely right. Bad info on my part. I too am running 5500W elements in both tanks, two pumps, and a BCS460. I considered 6500W, but the math didn't pencil out. Good catch BWN.
P

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black
.....for 10 gal batches, there is no way you can get a satisfying boil with only 120v elements (unless you'd have like 4 of them from different receptacles) !
Not true, two 2000w 120v elements will boil a ten gallon batch. You do need two 20 amp 120v GFI circuits.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

You may already have settled on building a multi-vessel system, but if not, consider the option of doing a single keggle (15.5g) 240V 5500W recirculating E-BIAB. I did one earlier this year with the help of one of PJ's schematics (which are absolutely first-rate) plus some of the various build threads and parts lists posted here.

I've found it to be just what I wanted for the 5-gallon batches I brew every few weeks. I mounted it all (including pump and plate chiller) on a surplus gas grill chassis so I can wheel it to the front of my garage for filling/cleaning/flushing and then back to where my spa panel is located. With a car, 2300cc motorcycle, two bicycles, assorted lawn equipment and other typical garage stuff also present, the small footprint of the single-vessel rig is nice.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Gotta pic? sounds kinda neat. Does the heater come on when mashing? What recirculates?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #18
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
Gotta pic? sounds kinda neat. Does the heater come on when mashing? What recirculates?
I've got a pic or two and a video on my cell phone, but I've never tried to transfer them to my computer. I'll give that a shot when I have the time.

The heating element is controlled by an Auber 2352 digital PID. When mashing, you set it to the temp you want and it heats the water to that temp. When the temp falls below the set value, it sends a DC signal to the SSR which in turn powers up the 120/240V contactor that activates the element in the keggle. The Chugger pump recirculates.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 80

How does the bag stay off the element?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
How does the bag stay off the element?
I built a false bottom out of some sheet stainless (from one of the doors of the gas grill I got the chassis from ). Last week, however, I did a batch of pale ale without the false bottom and the element didn't hurt the bag at all. I get the water up to mash temp before installing the bag and the bag is hoisted out, of course, before the boil.

Quick Reply