Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > New all-grain system recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
appleton11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default New all-grain system recommendations

Hi all,
i've been a 5-gal extract brewer for the past year and a half, and I'm ready to move to an all-grain setup.
I'd like to do an electric setup so I can brew in my basement (and thru the long cold MN winters).
I have a bad back so I'm thinking I need to do a horizontal system.
I'm thinking a recirculating mash system.
any recommendations on a system I could copy (build plans?)?. I'm an engineer so I'm pretty handy and plan to build the system myself (unless a used system is available at the right price!). A base system design would be best - something I could add features to in the future.
thanks much for the help. cheers! Randall

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Explore the site for various brew sculpture builds. I think you'll find a lot of useful stuff in the DIY areas and in the articles section on builds that people have done. A horizontal build is fine but it will require a pump to move the liquids from one tank to the other. Your desire to go all electric has some limitations but people have done wonders adapting water heater heating elements to their builds. If you want to go all out, research some e-herms builds.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Have you checked out www.theelectricbrewery.com?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
appleton11
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Explore the site for various brew sculpture builds. I think you'll find a lot of useful stuff in the DIY areas and in the articles section on builds that people have done. A horizontal build is fine but it will require a pump to move the liquids from one tank to the other. Your desire to go all electric has some limitations but people have done wonders adapting water heater heating elements to their builds. If you want to go all out, research some e-herms builds.
thanks so much for this info. i'm wondering what those limitations are? anything major? I will look into e-herms. thanks!!!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
appleton11
Recipes 

fantastic suggestion on the electricbrewery - thanks!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
appleton11
Recipes 

I might have a line on three of these off of craiglist:

"15.5 gallon stainless steel keggle-Top cut to 11.5-12", sanded smooth, 7/8 " spigot hole drilled 3-4" above the skirting weld line and between vent holes, first acid wash done"

any reason why these wouldn't work for my system? - i'm wanting to brew 10-gallon batches and i'm a little concerned that 15.5 is not enough...???

Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You could do most beers in 15 gallon pots. Mashing a big 10 gallon barleywine in a keg might be a squeeze, never tried it, though you could supplement grain with some extract on really big beers.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Strange_Brew
Recipes 

+1 on theelectricbrewery.com. Kal has put together an excellent how to based on 20 gallon vessels. Modifying his design for a 10 gallon system should be fairly simple. There are user forums on the site to help.
I personally am building a 1bbl system based on Kal's design.

Do keep in mind the beer styles you want to brew when spec'ing the size of your system. As Grathan said: a 10 gallon batch of barleywine would be very hard to mash in a 15 gallon vessel.

Cheers! and good luck with your project.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
appleton11
Recipes 

slow progress on my setup, but I've got some decisions to make with the next steps. I've collected the 3 keggles, and thanks to the seller, he recommended a bottom draining mash tun which I went with. He also suggested a FB and tri-clamp assembly for the MT from brewhardware.com- that's all I have so far...
Next steps with my questions, order of how I complete doesn't really matter...
1 - stand / table. can I get away with a wooden structure? or should I seek out a SS table? If I can use a wooden structure, it will be easier to mount my inverted MT...
2 - pump(s). can I survive off one pump for a while, or should I just go for two?
3 - fittings. I've read different opinions on weldless, and welded. are weldless fittings worth the trouble? of should I pony up and get everything welded?
4 - keggle lids - ideas of where to buy two more?
5 - heating elements - do 120V versions exist with enough power for 10g brews? If I have to go with 240, i'll need to get my electrician out to run a new line from the panel.

a million more questions, but this is a good start. also, I have a 4" exhaust port right above my brew area, so it will be super easy to vent. got lucky there!

thanks much in advance! cheers!

beer-3-wide.jpg   beer-bottom-drain.jpg   beer-fb.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Black
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 66

1 - A wooden structure will be enough, provided you build it with the proper wood.
2 - You can survive with one pump, however, you'd be better with 2 as it will allow you to fly sparge and save a lot of connect/disconnects.
5 - you should definitely go 240 volts for 10 gal batches, there is no way you can get a satisfying boil with only 120v elements (unless you'd have like 4 of them from different receptacles) For 10 gals I would suggest a minimum of 4500watts but preferably 5500 watts.

good luck with your project. If you need any help with the electric side, PM me it will be a pleasure to help !

Cheers !

Quick Reply