Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > new 10 gallon rig w/ propane, plan on turning it into elec....one day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
sillyburt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so any feedback from my 1-23 post about the IC?

I worked on it over the weekend and would have had it all solder up except two elbows I had dry fitted wouldn’t come apart. SERIOUSLY I used pliers on the straight pipe going to the elbow and basically tore it to pieces but could not get the elbow off. the another one did the same thing and I didn’t feel like making the trek to buy another one. hopefully I can work on it this weekend.

now to my next question. I have one element and was considering on installing it in my HLT now that I’ll pry be heating both HLT & MT both at same time so any help with the propane from an element would help. only problem is I don’t have the 240 in the garage yet. SO I’ve read that running a 5500W element at 120 instead of 240 will really give me 1375W…..well I’m ok with that if I can get it now without spending alot of cash. I already have several different gauges of wire. also another benefit is seeing how I have to clean some of the equipment and more or less push it thru a trial run I might as well poke the hole thru the keggle and install the element.

SO the question is can I install this element and wire to a cord or 14 or 12 ga NM-B to a plug and literally plug it in the wall to fire it up? I’ve heard of others wanting to do this but I can’t seem to find it in my notes. of course the outlet is GFCI protected :-)

this would benefit me in several ways as I’d gain extra heat now, it would cost me very little to do it & I planned on installing it sooner or later.

I also managed to order some more camlocks since I’ll need a third hose now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply