Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My two 5500 watt element 1 PID and SSR build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #51
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is a formula in the middle of the page below from Kal that gives you theoretical heating times for electric water heating. That might help you. I think 10 gals at 70 degrees taken to a full boil would take about an hour. I just know that I can heat about 10-11 gal to strike temp in about the same amount of time it takes to crush my grain and get my other stuff ready for the brew day. While I'm sparging I'll start slowly heating the wort in the kettle once the wort level is comfortably above the element (element at about 65-70%), so that my wort is almost to a boil by the time my sparge is done. When my sparge is finished I may have to give it full power for a few minutes and I'll be at a rolling boil.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/fo...c.php?p=284087

_

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #52
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
bigljd, I'd love to check out your rig. It's a bit overwhelming to jump into electric when you have little to no experience with that type of stuff.
Funny, I completely missed your post here since I was replying to another post at the same time you posted this. I'll send you a PM with my address, and you can check it out sometime (or I'm brewing Saturday am, so you can see it in action then too).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply