The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My two 5500 watt element 1 PID and SSR build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #31
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Looks great! Nothing like breaking in new brew equipment eh?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #32
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Looks great! Nothing like breaking in new brew equipment eh?
It was a fun day. One thing I did realize during the boil is that the storage shelf directly above the control panel funnels the steam from the kettle straight towards the panel, and water was condensing on it. I ended up moving the kettle out towards the middle of the shed so the steam could go up to the ceiling away from the panel. I was worried I'd short the whole system out on the first run, but it all worked out good.

It was kinda weird too, at how quiet it was during the boil. I'm used to the sound of the propane burner, and it was completely silent except for the bubbling wort.

I love my e-brewery!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #33
Lamp24
Recipes 

Thats a good looking system bigljd. Can I ask what is the reason for the contactors? I see some people are using them and others are not.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp24 View Post
Thats a good looking system bigljd. Can I ask what is the reason for the contactors? I see some people are using them and others are not.
Thanks - the contactors keep the element's full power load from going thru a switch. A switch controls a smaller 120v current - when the switch is turned on it powers the contactor coil which closes the contactor connection and allows the 240v 30 amp power to flow to the elements from the SSR.

30amps is a lot of power, and I just felt more comfortable having it controlled by contactors instead of a switch, but others have had success using switches. It's a personal choice.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #35
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Nice build! Nice brewspace! I used a couple self-tapping screws to secure the heat sink. JB weld is liquid duct tape...it has it's place.
Tonight I drilled two 9/64" holes through the top of the enclosure on both sides of the SSR, penetrating through the first level of the heat sink. Then I screwed #8 - 3/4" self tapping screws through the holes, and the heat sink is locked down nice and tight to the enclosure. Total cost, $0.98 for the screws from Lowes. I finished it off with a bead of clear silicone caulk around the heat sink to keep any water out in case I do something silly like spray my panel with a hose.

I've got some vinyl decals coming from Bobby to label all the switches and make it look good - then it will be finished! I'll do a final picture show of the entire setup.

If I can awaken from my Thanksgiving turkey coma I'll brew a batch on the completed system on Friday, and I'll get to put the new e-keggle HLT thru it's paces.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Glad you got it done. Self tappers are awesome. I always have some around. These for thicker metal:

And these are great for plastic and sheet metal:

I am going to try to brew on Friday too. Cranberry Wheat for Christmas I think.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 900 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
I was thinking about ordering them from you Bobby, and did visit your site a few times, but I'm probably going to just use the label maker I bought from Sprawlmart a while back. I'm just waiting until my wife has a chance to help me with it because I can never peel off the backing from the adhesive labels. She has longer nails so it's easier for her.
Well, you'll have the decals today or tomorrow.. no excuses let's see the pics!!

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #38
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Glad you got it done. Self tappers are awesome. I always have some around. These for thicker metal:

I am going to try to brew on Friday too. Cranberry Wheat for Christmas I think.
That's the screws I used - they worked great.

I'm getting all crazy and doing my first lager along with my first attempt at decoction mashing. I watched BruKaiser's YouTube video and am copying that. I've got all day to kill since my wife works but I'm off. The recipe will be for a Helles - we'll see how badly I can mess this up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Well, you'll have the decals today or tomorrow.. no excuses let's see the pics!!

Cool, I've been looking for them in the mail this week. I'll shoot some pictures on Friday so I can do it during my brew session.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 11-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
HawkATP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing your build, I'm making a similar control box. I looked on elecdirect for the e-stop hardware and 240v indicator LED and couldn't find them. Mind sharing the part numbers? Thanks. Look forward to hearing how your brew goes tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #40
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkATP View Post
Thanks for sharing your build, I'm making a similar control box. I looked on elecdirect for the e-stop hardware and 240v indicator LED and couldn't find them. Mind sharing the part numbers? Thanks. Look forward to hearing how your brew goes tomorrow.
It comes in separate pieces, but here are the links. Thanks to Ishiavo for sharing this - it came from his parts list.

Estop Parts:
MUSHROOM HEAD SPRING RETURN ACTUATOR METAL RED

COLLAR & 1 NO/1 NC CONTACT BLOCK Use the normally open side to the contact block if you are doing the GFCI e stop

ROUND LEGEND PLATE, 60MM DIAMETER, PLASTIC, EMERGENCY STOP

LED parts:

BODY, INTEGRAL CIRCUIT & CLUSTER LED RED 240V AC

HEAD, RED, HIGH CONTRAST FOR USE WITH NEON OR LEDs

I may as well put the toggles here too:

2-SCREWS, ON/OFF, CHROME HANDLE, MEDIUM DUTY

RUBBER BOOT [CLOSED]

and the power distribution blocks:

LINE 2/0-14AWG 1 OPENING, LOAD 4-14AWG 4 OPENING, 1POLE

Have fun!

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper