Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > my take on covering the heating element connections

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #21
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
Why's that?
Purely aesthetic. I like round and symmetrical and smooth. The electrical box is a much better solution if you have to replace the element, and it's probably just as good when it comes to safety as far and water tightness goes.

I just got back from the Depot, and I found a slightly different solution using similar parts. It takes a little more fab work but it solves the problem of being able to rip the PVC away from the element. I'll post a thread with pictures as soon as I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer View Post
Purely aesthetic. I like round and symmetrical and smooth. The electrical box is a much better solution if you have to replace the element, and it's probably just as good when it comes to safety as far and water tightness goes.

I just got back from the Depot, and I found a slightly different solution using similar parts. It takes a little more fab work but it solves the problem of being able to rip the PVC away from the element. I'll post a thread with pictures as soon as I can.
Sounds good, I'm halfway decided in either using the junction box or pemanent PVC solution...perhaps this is the in-between solution. Looking forward to seeing this solution.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #23
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is pretty much the same thing I have, except that I used a straight piece of PVC instead of an elbow. I didn't pot the connections inside with epoxy, but I sealed the outside well.

It's pretty solid. I can tug the keg around by the cable and things stay in place perfectly.

Edit: I tried first sealing with silicon, but the connection wasn't stable. It broke free and was a hazard. I re-did the sealing with JB Weld and it's like a rock now.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer View Post
I love this. You've solved this issue for me! I wanted to avoid the electrical box on the keg, and I want to weld the locknut as well. I think I'll probably JB weld the crap out of the connections instead of the silicone. And I'll also sand the elbow smooth and spray it with some of that sweet hammered metal paint before final assembly.

PROST!
I also wanted to avoid the electrical box on the keg, but it was because the rubber coated keg made it much more difficult to mount the box than a standard keg.
Even if you pot the connections, the pvc elbow was so cheap, you can replace it at will much cheaper than the box setup.
During my last visit to lowes, I saw something that might be useful. A baseboard electric heat thermostat. It says no limits on temp, and it will easily switch my 1500 watt 120v element. I will have to lay down the cash to see if it will work, but it might be a low cost solution to heat control with the electric elements.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #25
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
This is pretty much the same thing I have, except that I used a straight piece of PVC instead of an elbow. I didn't pot the connections inside with epoxy, but I sealed the outside well.

It's pretty solid. I can tug the keg around by the cable and things stay in place perfectly.

Edit: I tried first sealing with silicon, but the connection wasn't stable. It broke free and was a hazard. I re-did the sealing with JB Weld and it's like a rock now.
Sweet. glad to see this idea is working for different people in different ways.

built not bought ftw!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #26
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobum View Post
...Even if you pot the connections, the pvc elbow was so cheap, you can replace it at will much cheaper than the box setup.
I guess that depends on how many times you anticipate replacing your elements. I paid $11/each for my waterproof boxes, and they don't need to be replaced if you have to replace the element. If you have to spend more than $5 to replace the elbow, buy new epoxy/JB weld, and new wire, then it might be more cost effective to go with the boxes (if you have to replace the elements 2 or more times in the lifetime of your rig). Otherwise, yeah, it's cheaper to go with the PVC and epoxy route.

TB
1. IPA 2. IPA 3. Pils 4. Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Dry Stout, Cali Common

Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #27
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I guess that depends on how many times you anticipate replacing your elements. I paid $11/each for my waterproof boxes, and they don't need to be replaced if you have to replace the element. If you have to spend more than $5 to replace the elbow, buy new epoxy/JB weld, and new wire, then it might be more cost effective to go with the boxes (if you have to replace the elements 2 or more times in the lifetime of your rig). Otherwise, yeah, it's cheaper to go with the PVC and epoxy route.

TB
I see what you are saying. The box is a good system, but for me I always seem to have sealant around (own a house), made my cord plenty long to cut off and start again, the elbow is 97¢, and this is in my hlt so I am thinking it will last awhile. Just tryin to get what worked for me out there.
I only used a small bead of silicone around the element base, so most of it could be re-used. for those that pot the whole thing in epoxy/jbweld it might be that the replace the whole setup when they replace the element.

to each their own. that is the beauty of this hobby. Ingenuity!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #28
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:

Agree 100% !!!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #29
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
I see what you are saying. The box is a good system, but for me I always seem to have sealant around (own a house), made my cord plenty long to cut off and start again, the elbow is 97¢, and this is in my hlt so I am thinking it will last awhile. Just tryin to get what worked for me out there.
I only used a small bead of silicone around the element base, so most of it could be re-used. for those that pot the whole thing in epoxy/jbweld it might be that the replace the whole setup when they replace the element.

Well, right, but my comment was directed towards your words that I quoted above, not which method is better. I agree that different methods and desings will work for different people, and that is indeed one great thing about this hobby. Just keep in mind I wasn't criticizing your method/design, I was questioning the financial reasoning in the quoted text. You've got a method that should work well, with a reasonable initial investment, good job my friend!

TB

EDIT: note that I'm not trying to discourage you, or anyone thinking of using this method.
1. IPA 2. IPA 3. Pils 4. Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Dry Stout, Cali Common

Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well, right, but my comment was directed towards your words that I quoted above, not which method is better. I agree that different methods and designs will work for different people, and that is indeed one great thing about this hobby. Just keep in mind I wasn't criticizing your method/design, I was questioning the financial reasoning in the quoted text. You've got a method that should work well, with a reasonable initial investment, good job my friend!

TB

EDIT: note that I'm not trying to discourage you, or anyone thinking of using this method.
Got it. too many homebrews last night...

Quick Reply