Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My single tier BCS-460 Electric Brewrig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
dutchb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My single tier BCS-460 Electric Brewrig

Well its took a bit longer than expected but I'd say its pretty much done. I've brewed about a dozen or so batches on this and I finally got the majority of the bugs worked out. The BCS was a bit of a challenge to learn its nature, but im pretty happy with it now. I run the whole system off an Android tablet as well.
I built it all from lumber I had laying around the house from various projects, and used some left over laminate flooring for the top of it.

My main concern was that I wanted to hide as much as possible, so I bolted the pump underneath the boil kettle and ran the in/out quick-disconnects on the front of the rig. The brain of the whole operation is all located in the box that hang's down underneath the mash tun in a removable electric panel. (The hole cut in the back is for the 220v plug) I also wanted to have the option of removing/unplugging everything so, that was a important factor for me in the build. All the kettles can be unplugged/removed along with the brain/computer. I even made the Plate chiller easily removable as well. (best money I have ever spent was on a plate chiller)

The whole system is powered by my welder plug so its all a 220v system. Using 5500w elements in both HLT & BK.
The majority of everything you see was purchased through,
bargainfittings.com
brewershardware.com
brewhardware.com
ebrewsupply.com

A big thanks to theelectricbrewery.com for all the info and the forums on this site as well. Couldn't have done it without those 2!

db-7-.jpg   db-9-.jpg   db-8-.jpg   db-5-.jpg   db-1-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
dutchb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Part 2

Part 2

db-6-.jpg   db-2-.jpg   db-3-.jpg   db-4-.jpg   db-11-.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
dutchb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Part 3

Part 3

db-10-.jpg   db-12-.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Have we learned nothing from Battlestar Galactica?

When the cylons take over your brew day, I'll still be chugging along with my non-networked brew setup.

But seriously...I don't think I'd ever try running a brew day from a computer, because they tend to screw things up.

Yes, I have a computer-related degree. Why do you ask?

Putting my biases aside, though...really sweet build, man!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
dutchb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I hear ya on that one. Looking back on the build, I probably would have incorporated some manual switches to be able to directly control the whole set up. Im not crazy about relying on my network/computer for brewing. I've got some ideas for "manual" mode in the future. But im pretty happy with how it all works so far.
I do like how I can leave the rig out in the garage and monitor temps/activity from any computer in the house though,(house and garage are separated) there are some perks to it!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln
Have we learned nothing from Battlestar Galactica?

When the cylons take over your brew day, I'll still be chugging along with my non-networked brew setup.

But seriously...I don't think I'd ever try running a brew day from a computer, because they tend to screw things up.
But damn, some of those cylons were fracking HOT! Are you telling me you wouldn't want a number six making your next batch for you?

But anyway, very nice. I'm looking to go the RaspberryPi route and use my iPhone or iPad with web based controls but I would also like manual mode because I'm raelly just starting out.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Great setup. I've been brewing for a couple years on a BCS with no additional manual controls. No issues whatsoever.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/
dutchb Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts

Great setup. I like the clean build of your control cabinet. Don't personally see much need for manual control except for being able to manually switch off elements and pumps if necessary.

How about some details about the cabling for the temperature probes? That's one area that my system needs quite a bit of improvement on.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
dutchb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ChuckO - What kind of info are you looking for? I used microphone plugs for those.
I bought these chasis mounts

And these XLR microphone plugs

Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts

Dutchb, thanks, that tells me what to look for when I start to upgrade the wiring to the temperature probes.

Quick Reply