New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #51
Brewen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I love it when engineers post their brew designs (I'm an EE student)! Nothing like a little CAD to brighten your day!

I'm a little confused about how you'll use the system for sparging. Will V1, V3, and V4 be open with the rest closed so that P1 moves water from the HLT to the MLT and P2 from the MLT through the CFC to the BK? My personal preference (although I have zero practical experience, only lots of forum lurking) would be to plumb an additional line from P2 to the BK so you can bypass the CFC. Why did you choose this particular design?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #52
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballdrummer View Post
I'm wondering what you did ... I've seen a few different solutions - one used large washers to keep the o-rings in snug, another used hi-temp silicone sealant - which kinda defeats the purpose of the o-rings.
I'm on travel for a month so I can't share any pictures on how I sealed me element for the brews a couple weeks ago. I wasn't completely happy with my setup but it work... I used a o-ring on each side of the junction box and then applied a thin layer of 100% silicone sealant around the hex head of the element inside the junction box just to be safe. I also applied a bit of silicone to the threads before I inserted them into the locknut. Going to be looking for some larger rubber/silicone flat washers/gaskets to replace to o-rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewen View Post
I love it when engineers post their brew designs (I'm an EE student)! Nothing like a little CAD to brighten your day!

I'm a little confused about how you'll use the system for sparging. Will V1, V3, and V4 be open with the rest closed so that P1 moves water from the HLT to the MLT and P2 from the MLT through the CFC to the BK? My personal preference (although I have zero practical experience, only lots of forum lurking) would be to plumb an additional line from P2 to the BK so you can bypass the CFC. Why did you choose this particular design?
I'm a EE by education, employed as a systems eng. The plumbing on page 1 was one of my initial designs and was made with the goal of reducing the number of valves I needed as they were one of the more expensive components in my brewery. Since then I have updated my design and I ordered an extra valve to accommodate. Below is a newer drawing of what I plan to implement:

This will leave the plate chiller out of the equation until it comes time to actually chill.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #53
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Looks sweet man. I was lucky enough to snag a slc500 from work and start going at it.

Heres just a rough mock up of the HMI

"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

"Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #54
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

I have by no means abandoned this effort... My time spent on work travel has exceeded the originally expected duration. In the mean time I have been able to slowly develop some of the micro controller and the LabVIEW code. The HMI motherboard, CPU, memory, and accessories have been ordered and should arrive before I return home.

As soon as I return home the stainless table and sink will be ordered. The final touches to my new brewing room should only take a couple weeks to complete, then the real fun begins.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #55
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Finally an update.

UPS brought me a bunch of big and shiny things today:

Large stainless sink with drainboard with a lever operated drain and a jointed swivel faucet. Going to be adding a 5-6' hose and nozzle to the top of the faucet.

The two work tables that will serve as my stand and control/power panel mounts.

I hope to finish the plumbing this weekend and get that sink up and running. The drywall and other finishing is nearly ready to go as well.

While waiting for the sink and tables I have been working on parts of the mcu code and HMI. Below is a shot of the PC and touchscreen running.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #56
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great to see this one still going, looking forward to seeing how it works out

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #57
TheBrewBros
Recipes 

Where did you get that sink at? Just wondering as I shop for mine. I would love a drain shelf to the left...

Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #58
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewBros View Post
Where did you get that sink at? Just wondering as I shop for mine. I would love a drain shelf to the left...
Sink is from eBay. There are a number of sellers that carry the same sinks in a ton of different possible combinations. I ordered a sink with the drain shelf on the left but they shipped me the wrong model. It actually works out a little better for me so I am not too angry.

They come in 15x15, 18x18, and 24x24 bowl sizes. Mine is the 18x18, it can fit a whole sanke.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #59
Foosinho
Recipes 

Nice! I'm also an EE by training (tho I've spent my entire career in software), and this is very similar to the setup I wish to build. Tho I hadn't considered LabView - mostly because I don't have access to it!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #60
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewBros View Post
This is what I am envisioning for a setup in the basement ... how do drain the sink ? Is that a sump pump ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply