Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #211
TheFlyingBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The LCD key/switch breakout panel is working like a champ during my bench testing. This board breaks out 5 ports for the HLT, MLT, BK, Pump 1, and Pump 2 LCD keys. It also provides connections for the switches and dials for those same items. A 12VDC to 24VDC step up converter (blue board) provides power to turn the contactor on in the power control box. This 24V output is controlled by the black relay to the right which requires the following to be turned on:
1. All element/pump control switches are in Off position to initially energize (my safe start feature)
2. The emergency stop is not activated.

The red LED next to the relay shows that it is on. I tested both the conditions above and it works perfectly. The three other red LEDs at the bottom middle of the board indicate that it has proper +3.3V, +5V, and +12VDC supplies.

Next I have to make cables to connect between this board and the other 4 LCD keys and then wire up the switches and dials.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me
stlbeer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #212
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quick update. The LCD keys are fully functional using a native control GUI, I will be working to implement a control program in my own code soon.

The camera has a hard time seeing the text in each switch, oh well.

Wiring up the switches and dials are next.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #213
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post

The LCD key/switch breakout panel is working like a champ during my bench testing. This board breaks out 5 ports for the HLT, MLT, BK, Pump 1, and Pump 2 LCD keys. It also provides connections for the switches and dials for those same items. A 12VDC to 24VDC step up converter (blue board) provides power to turn the contactor on in the power control box. This 24V output is controlled by the black relay to the right which requires the following to be turned on:
1. All element/pump control switches are in Off position to initially energize (my safe start feature)
2. The emergency stop is not activated.

The red LED next to the relay shows that it is on. I tested both the conditions above and it works perfectly. The three other red LEDs at the bottom middle of the board indicate that it has proper +3.3V, +5V, and +12VDC supplies.

Next I have to make cables to connect between this board and the other 4 LCD keys and then wire up the switches and dials.

Nice to see I am not the only one with beer caps all over my work bench

Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #214
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post
Quick update. The LCD keys are fully functional using a native control GUI, I will be working to implement a control program in my own code soon.

The camera has a hard time seeing the text in each switch, oh well.

Wiring up the switches and dials are next.
SICK build!!!
Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #215
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Um. Your "breakout" board. Is that custom screened? Or an off the shelf product?

It's not every day I see a circuit board with "RDWHAHB" on it. That is so awesome I might wet myself.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #216
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Um. Your "breakout" board. Is that custom screened? Or an off the shelf product?

It's not every day I see a circuit board with "RDWHAHB" on it. That is so awesome I might wet myself.
It is a board that I custom designed, the RDWHAHB and flying bottle logo are my little signatures on it. There should be some details earlier in this thread. Glad you enjoy.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #217
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Well it's awesome, so good on you. I didn't see the logo at first, thanks for pointing it out. Yeah I confess, I skipped a couple posts in the middle of the thread, Wanted to get towards the real money shots. I'll catch up soon. Thanks for the reply. Happy brewin' to ya!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #218
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just found this thread and all i can say is fricken awesome! Nice work, when its all done you should post a video brewing a batch with it. very nice cheers!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #219
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everty2007 View Post
Just found this thread and all i can say is fricken awesome! Nice work, when its all done you should post a video brewing a batch with it. very nice cheers!
I will definitely make some videos once it is actually functional.

It has been a very busy month and not as much has been accomplished on this project as I would like. I am done wiring up the control panel for all of the functions needed to begin basic brewing.

My main focus for the last week or so has been code for the main microcontroller. So far I have routines to read all of the temperature sensors, turn on solenoid valves, and output PWM for the heating elements. Once I wrap a few more items into the code I will be brewing a few extract beers to replenish my stocks before the remaining items are coded and I can start AG.

No pictures for this updated but I will be sure to show some for the next.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #220
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Wow, this thing is awesome! Nice work!

Quick Reply