Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #191
bblack7489
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

...back to the ScreenKeys for a second...

After a few days tinkering with the keys, I got an FPGA-based driver working. Now that I figured out all of the idiosyncrasies, they're pretty nice to work with.

A few questions though...

What did you end up using them for? From the looks of your panel, you're going to use them to show temp. Are you actually using the button function of them? Also, where did you find the nice flip-up covers for them?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #192
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack7489 View Post
...back to the ScreenKeys for a second...

After a few days tinkering with the keys, I got an FPGA-based driver working. Now that I figured out all of the idiosyncrasies, they're pretty nice to work with.

A few questions though...

What did you end up using them for? From the looks of your panel, you're going to use them to show temp. Are you actually using the button function of them? Also, where did you find the nice flip-up covers for them?

Thanks.
Sounds like you are making more progress on them than me. Once I got the initial test out of the way they were designed in and I haven't touched them since.

The five keys above the switches will most likely display element duty cycle % or vessel temperature. The pumps keys may display speed or rate. For the pumps I envision the button press will change from forward to reverse... haven't put much thought into them actually. I was handed the keys so I naturally decided to add them somewhere into the brewery. Lastly, I think the four keys on the right of the control panel will be used to control the various solenoid valves for water supplies and drain.

The covers came with the switches, don't know where to find substitutes.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #193
bblack7489
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I now realize what you meant about the keys being a little tricky. The required information was technically all there in the data sheet, but there were some very important things that were buried in obscure footnotes.

If there's anyone out there who happens upon this post and wants low-level and higher level driver files for the ScreenKeys written in LabVIEW, I'm happy to share. I'll probably post them on the NI FPGA community page, but I'll have to clean them up a little first. I'll link to that when I get it done.

It's kind of a pain to get from image to 108 byte data array that represents all of the pixels. I've also written a few LabVIEW VIs that help with that. I probably should go one step further and make an executable that takes a 36x24 pixel image and spits out the 108 byte array.

I saw in earlier posts that you were using LabVIEW's Statechart Module for your high-level control. Is that still the plan, to use Statechart for the supervisory control?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #194
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack7489 View Post
It's kind of a pain to get from image to 108 byte data array that represents all of the pixels. I've also written a few LabVIEW VIs that help with that. I probably should go one step further and make an executable that takes a 36x24 pixel image and spits out the 108 byte array.

I saw in earlier posts that you were using LabVIEW's Statechart Module for your high-level control. Is that still the plan, to use Statechart for the supervisory control?
I was lucky in the fact that the key control boards I have came with a converter utility to change BMPs to the correct byte arrays.

I still don't know what toolkits/modules will be used in LV. Due to my work, I have a lot of them available but I don't know much about any other than what can be found in the help documentation. Currently my focus has been on the physical/mechanical aspects of the build.

As a short side track I started programming the PIC18F2K22 on the main control board that will be used to run the pump stepper motors. The first PIC that was soldered using the toaster oven reflow must have had an issue as it would not discover during programming. I desoldered and replaced it with no other issues. My PIC knoweldge is a bit outdated so it will take me a while to get up to speed. As a first venture I made the motor controller pulse lines flash at a constant rate. More programming will come when time allows.

This past weekend I made pretty good progress on the stand plumbing. The BK drain was brazed and other components were mounted in place. I don't have any pictures at the moment but once a few more items are added I will be sure to share. To finish the stand plumbing I need to finish the second pump which is currently underway.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #195
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Any updates coming soon?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #196
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
Any updates coming soon?
Lets just say the work/life balance has been leaning heavily towards the work side of things recently. I am currently on business travel again so things are moving a bit slowly. I brought my controller board and PIC programming equipment along with this trip. In my spare evenings in the hotel I am working on finishing up the pump stepper motor control code.

Back at home I am nearly done building the second pump and the plumbing is almost complete. Nothing to show yet as far as pictures are concerned.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #197
mach9
Recipes 

Subscribed.....I wish my PhD EE buddy lived closer, we would have a blast building something. Till then I'll just pretend I know what is going on here. And as one other poster put it, I wish I found this when it was complete...its like waiting for a new season of a show.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #198
danmeljeff
Recipes 

Wow, truly inspiring build you have going here. My buddy and I are putting together an electric all grain setup too (though, quite a bit more crude than yours), using the arduino and labview. I've got the temp probes controlling the heating elements, the floating point valves opening and closing, and the pumps turning on/off. However, I'm a novice with labview and am not quite sure how to bring all components together in a single vi. I'm curious if you have your vi created yet, and if so, would be willing to share?

We've been working on our system on and off for the past year...and are ready to brew our first beer this weekend (though, mostly manual until we get the labview/arduino control piece all dialed in).

Again, congrats on all you've accomplished in such a short period of time. I've scoured the web looking at many a electric brewery system design, and yours is far and away the most impressive. Hope you post a brew-day youtube when you get it up and running!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #199
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm very impressed with your build. It is a real labor of love, and shows great craftsmanship.

Any plans on selling those little control boards for the valves? If you are considering it, count me in as a serious customer for a handful or more.

Prost!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #200
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Sorry folks, been an insane summer so far, I haven't put many hours into the brewery recently but there are a few updates I can provide.

Two weekends ago I painted the HMI enclosure black like the power control box. Here is the front panel being assembled to give you an idea of how it will look:

And as I said before, the plumbing is almost complete. The next images show everything installed but the two pumps.

Whole setup:

Distribution line/valves and plate chiller. I tried to get the distribution line to slope downward to the right for easier cleaning:

BK drain, whirlpool return valve, and trub filter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmeljeff View Post
I'm curious if you have your vi created yet, and if so, would be willing to share?
Hope you post a brew-day youtube when you get it up and running!
Have you seen the Labview/Arduino bundle from SparkFun? Looks like a great way to get started.

To be honest, the only LV items I have right now are mostly for the GUI itself. The back ground processes and functionality are still a work in progress. Also, the PID portions I use require a rather expensive toolkit (thanks work!). If you want any of the GUI items I posted earlier I should be able to package them up at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay View Post
Any plans on selling those little control boards for the valves? If you are considering it, count me in as a serious customer for a handful or more.
Prost!
The PCBs are uploaded to BatchPCB so if they work and don't need any revisions I could easily allow others to buy them. I have no problem distributing design details or code... once it is created. The valve control functions are still months away unfortunately.

Next weekend should be pretty productive for the brewery (SWMBO is out of town), I will be sure to post some updates then.

wyzazz Likes This 

Quick Reply