The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
fujieagle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Should be epic. Wish I had the intelligence to incorporate a touch screen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballdrummer View Post
What r u planning for all the switches if your HMI is labview? Are the manual/safety overrides? The screen looks nice; where did you source it and the valves from.
The top row of switches will control the state of the three elements and both pumps (manual-off-auto), a safe start interlock is incorporated so that the main 50A service can't be started unless all are in the off position. If an issue occurs the big "oh ****" red stop button will kill the coil in the contactor but the HMI will still be functional so any progress/current states won't be lost in the SW control.

The bottom row of switches are actually potentiometers. I am going to try to rig them up to standard 22mm selectors. The pots will be used in manual mode to control element duty cycle and pump speed. Mainly they are incorporated so I can brew before automation aspects are incorporated. SW is going to take a lot of work and I have a lot of learning to do.

The valves are from Taiwan, the screen is from eBay. I am pretty sure the screen came out of a digital photo printing kiosk, it has a nice bezel for mounting to a panel and the screen is protected by a sheet of plastic. Connects to the PC using USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujieagle View Post
Should be epic. Wish I had the intelligence to incorporate a touch screen.
Time will tell if I do...

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Man....you guys are going way more high tech than I ever dreamed of.....rock on.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
DeeDub76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Duuuuuude!!!! As I expected......this is awesome!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
wl7coe
Recipes 

First great pictures and design! I like the clean look and simplicity.

Job well done!

What size heating element is HE2?

Are you going to use HE2 to preheat the HERMS or are you bring in water from the HLT?

I went with a seperate heat exchanger because I figured it was easier to control a smaller volume of water for doing steps and mash outs, I have found this to be true with all my tests this past winter. Just now doing tests with electric heat exchanger.
My element is to small (1000watt) so I have to use gas or the HLT to provide preheated water at the correct temperature. Have not decided a route yet with that issue.

After I threaded in an element last night I figured out why triclamps are the way to go, especially in the boil pot if one has a screen, triclamp makes it so much easier to remove the element for cleaning and if equiped removing the screen. It is just a simple matter of function when deciding to use triclamps for the elements.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl7coe
What size heating element is HE2?
Thanks. The HEX element is currently spec'd to be 2500W. Between that the HLT and BK elements I will be pushing the limits of my 50a service. The controller will handle power management eventually if all are commanded on at once.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd be interested in seeing how the ultra sonic transducer works out. In my experience they can be a little sensitive to steam vapors.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage
I'd be interested in seeing how the ultra sonic transducer works out. In my experience they can be a little sensitive to steam vapors.
I have only tested it with cold tap water and it performed great. Initially it will be used to control the solenoid valve that fills the hlt, eventually I will use it to monitor how much water has been emptied. After heating the hlt things may get interesting. The HEX tank is binary, will have a simple float switch.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Definitely will have to watch this build develop. I want to do something similar in the next year or so, but need to move first. Can't wait to see how your's turns out.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
wl7coe
Recipes 

Default HE2 followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post
Thanks. The HEX element is currently spec'd to be 2500W. Between that the HLT and BK elements I will be pushing the limits of my 50a service. The controller will handle power management eventually if all are commanded on at once.
Because of my limits i went with a different circuit for the heat exchanger, though it is 110v 2o amps so I am just using a 1000 watt element, that is why i am looking at using preheated water from the HLT or using propane to get to the mash temp than the HE element to maintain.

I am actually testing using the HLT tonight, I have a 15 gallon HLT so draining off 2 and a half gallons for the heat exchanger will not be an issue. Just worried asking a 4500 watt element to heat up another 3 or 4 gallons to 165 may take to long. I have already tested using propane to hat the heat exchanger to 159 than switching to the bucket heater, that worked great. With my equipment if maintain the heat exchanger between 159 and 162 and use the pump valves to regulate the mash temperatures everything works fine.

Thank you for the reply

Quick Reply