Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #181
TheFlyingBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack7489 View Post
I don't know whether I missed it or if you talked about it, but what are you using to control the ScreenKeys? I ended up with a few that I didn't use on a project, and I'd like to incorporate them into my controller box. I don't mind trying to figure out the driver software, but it would be nice to get a little nudge in that direction.
Unfortunately that is the one part of my system I can't go into much detail as it is my company's design (prototype but still proprietary). I can say generally that a microcontroller talks to each key and registers key presses, data is sent to and from the brewery controller and the key controller over a USB serial data-stream. Bitmaps can be loaded and sent for each key. The datasheets of the keys themselves would be the place to start.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #182
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quick update. The ~19 gallon RV water tank came in tonight so I marked off some gallon lines and installed the inlet and outlet.

Inlet comes from the DI cartridge and is connected to a float valve that shuts off the RODI system when the tank is full. Outlet is connected to a pump and then to a solenoid valve that controls my HLT water level. I still need to secure the tank in place but at least now the plumbing can be finished.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #183
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do you have a link to where you purchased the tank?

I use RO for brewing but with my household setup, it takes nearly a day to collect 18 gallons of water. I was thinking about getting a pump to increase my output but if I could just run to a storage tank that would be ideal.

What's your plan for the tank? Are you going to have it full at all times?

The tank that my RO system uses is pressurized in some way. I assume you're using some kind of self-priming pump to get the water out?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #184
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

I went right to the manufacturer for the tank: Ronco
They can install any fittings needed, in my case I had a 4" inspection window installed in the top so I could place the float valve and clean when needed. The prices are their website are not correct, my tank (B211) was around $160 shipped.

There are a ton of people on saltwater reef forums that use food grade garbage bins to store their RODI water.

I think initially I will turn on the system a day or so before brewing to fill up the tank and then drain at the end of a brew cycle. I don't think there is any harm in keeping the tank full at all times so it may just stay full. RO water shouldn't go stale, especially in a sealed tank. A small vent is going to be added to the top to prevent vacuum when pumping.

The pump is made for this kind of purpose. It is called a demand pump and has a built in pressure switch that turns off the pump when the output side reaches a set pressure (i.e. the output valve turns off).

Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #185
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

I completed Pump1's mount and placed it for a test fit:

Each of the four legs are bolted to the table top with some rubber spacers in between to minimize vibration and noise.

The HEX tank fits right above the pump, there isn't wiggle room but it all fits well. The black wrapping around the silicone tubes is to prevent kinks, commonly used in water cooled PCs.

Finally, a shot of the HLT, HEX, and MLT.

I'm not going back to work until Wednesday so I hope to wrap up all of the plumbing/tubing for the system this weekend. I am very excited to see everything coming together.

People Like This 
Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #186
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post
I am very excited to see everything coming together.
yup yup yup

Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #187
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow using a mountain bike disc rotor to make a peristaltic pump. Thats pretty ingenious.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #188
fluxgame
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are those skateboard wheels mounted between the rotors? Definitely a genius design. What kind of flow rates do you get with it?

Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #189
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think the are.....very nice. I guess if you have a reversable motor you and put in or take out with the flip of a switch and only one hose change.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #190
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxgame View Post
Are those skateboard wheels mounted between the rotors? Definitely a genius design. What kind of flow rates do you get with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
I think the are.....very nice. I guess if you have a reversable motor you and put in or take out with the flip of a switch and only one hose change.
Yep, longboard wheels to be exact. I have a lot more details on the pumps in this thread: cake-pan-skateboard-wheel-bike-brakes-homemade-peristaltic-pump.

I think the pumps could achieve multiple gallons per minute. I am using large stepper motors so the speed can be precisely controlled in both forward and reverse. The idea is to eventually keep track of the pumped volume. There is a second pump that will be mounted below the brew kettle.

Quick Reply