Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #141
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but what touchscreen are you using?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #142
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Wow what a system. I am just going to start hating you right now, if that is ok with you.
That is fine with me, I see things on this forum all the time that I "hate". Whole lot of awesome running around these boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but what touchscreen are you using?
The touchscreen is an older panel pulled from a Kodak photo kiosk or similar. It is made by ELO and is similar to the 1537L. 1024 x 768 Resolution, it was around $40 on eBay a year or two ago.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #143
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer View Post
The touchscreen is an older panel pulled from a Kodak photo kiosk or similar. It is made by ELO and is similar to the 1537L. 1024 x 768 Resolution, it was around $40 on eBay a year or two ago.
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #144
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ball valves, Automation?

I thought mototrized ball valves, or at least the ones in home brew rigs, only went fully open or fully closed. Is the controller board handling some type of actuator or have you gone and bought actual control valves? Are all the valves, apart from the solenoid ones, going to have this functionality? Great work on the PCB's!!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #145
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer Gerard View Post
I thought mototrized ball valves, or at least the ones in home brew rigs, only went fully open or fully closed. Is the controller board handling some type of actuator or have you gone and bought actual control valves? Are all the valves, apart from the solenoid ones, going to have this functionality? Great work on the PCB's!!
Thanks. The actuators for my ball valves in my system will be modified Johnson Controls VA9104's. The actuators as I purchased them had very simple control interface with two 24VAC inputs, one for clockwise rotation and one for CCW. The blue actuator housing (can be seen in the last picture above) had plenty of space to insert my own control board for proportional control. The downside is the valves are slower than those typically used in homebrewing, 60s vs 7-10s.

The controller will use a magnetic position sensor with a magnet connected to the gear system to determine the valve position. Two phototriacs will switch the motor to either CW or CCW. Each valve will communicate with the main brewery controller over a separate I2C bus. The long red button in the last picture above disengages the valve gearing and will push a switch to send a signal to the controller that the valve has been moved manually.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #146
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Remind me to send you a PM when I start planning for world domination!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #147
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd View Post
Remind me to send you a PM when I start planning for world domination!
Narf! (Pinky and the Brain for the older members of this forum)

There has been a ton of activity towards finally being able to brew with this system. The control panel door was sent out early last week to be waterjetted, no idea on how long it will take. The circuit boards are on their way back from the boardhouse and should be in hand by the end of this week or early next. All of the components for the circuit boards arrived over the last couple days, can't wait to start soldering.

I bit the bullet and decided to use a RO/DI water system. Purchased a prebuit unit from BulkReefSupply and couldn't be happier with the build quality of the system. The filter stages will fill up a 18 gallon plastic RV/boat holding tank that will be used on brew days for the HLT, MLT, etc. I have been building a "cabinet" behind the wash sink to hold the RO/DI and tank system. Here is my progress so far:

Cabinet frame in place, plywood backboard mounted to studs.

Sink in place, doors and shelves mounted:

Doors open showing the RO/DI setup. 18 Gallon tank will go in the upper right compartment, it is on back order for a couple of weeks at least.

Everything still needs to be sanded, stained, and sealed but overall it has been a great experience doing some wood working for the brewery.

The water supply solenoid valves (SV1, SV3, & SV4 for those keeping track) will be placed in the lower right hand corner of this cabinet. Outlets will be on the right hand side and will be connected to the tanks and chiller.

After the random purchases this week the last major component to I have yet to nail down is the HERMS HEX coil. I will hopefully be buying it soon. There is light at the end of this incredibly long build tunnel. I am optimistic and have set a goal of brewing in some limited capacity by early June. The software will take a lot of time to build and refine, until then I will slowly implement new features.

Last edited by TheFlyingBeer; 04-27-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: typos

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #148
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Subscribed

Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #149
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
Subscribed
I look forward to receiving the custom heat exchanger coil inlet tubes you built for me!

In an attempt to provide more regular updates I have a bunch of news to share.

Over the last two weeks parts have been arriving nearly daily. So far the most exciting parts to show up are the circuit boards and the acrylic overlay for the control panel.

The laser cut/engraved acrylic panel from Big Blue Saw arrived on Friday and looks awesome! Simon from BBS even included all of the cutout items in a bag with the shipment. The negative of the large cutout for the touchscreen may come in handy in the future.

The relatively poor image quality of my phone doesn't do the engraving justice... it looks exactly like my 3D model.

The door I sent in should be shipped any day now, then the real fun will begin with assembling the front panel.

As I mentioned the circuit boards arrived from BatchPCB and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they shipped multiple copies of each board even though I only ordered one of each. My guess is they had spare space on the panels to fill... quite the added bonus (especially if I mess something up).

I quickly got to work putting the main controller together. Solder paste stencils were ordered from OHARARP. Solder paste is spread across the stencil and is filled into the holes where surface mount pads are located.

The small components were then carefully placed into the correct locations. After placement the board was baked in a toaster oven to get the paste to reflow. Finally, all of the through hole components were soldered with a regular hand held iron.

I think it is looking really good, just need the relays in the lower right corner of the board for it to be completed.

I have started to implement the software for the control board, so far so good.

The ball valve control boards fit like a glove, I was very relieved.

It will be a while until I start working on those. The first few beers brewed will have manual control of the valves. I haven't brewed for ever, it is a race to the finish now.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #150
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

love the logos and the rdwhahb on your boards. nice touch

Quick Reply