Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #121
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Looking very good, I can't wait to see more pics!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #122
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is the control panel progress so far:

The front panel has so many complicated cutouts that I decided I will take it in and have it waterjetted:

And here are a couple of models showing the inside and front panel:

The little rectangles above my selector switches and on the right hand side of the front panel are these awesome LCD switches:

They were part of a old prototype interface at my work and were being thrown out. Spent a week or so getting them up and running before I decided to add them to the control panel. Haven't quite figured out exactly how each will be used but for starters they will be lit up and used instead of LED indicators.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #123
MarcMTL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is big. I'm thinking you can recuperate cost by giving tours of your basement.

Conditioning: -
Drinking:Edwort's Haus Pale Ale w/ 2oz dry hop

Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #124
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! Can we get a close up shot of the brazed tri-clamp. One of my biggest conundrums in the rebuild of my system is finding/building a sanitary (or as close as possible) chiller, so any help on that end would be great

Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #125
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMTL View Post
This is big. I'm thinking you can recuperate cost by giving tours of your basement.
I think it would take quite a while to recuperate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121 View Post
Wow! Can we get a close up shot of the brazed tri-clamp. One of my biggest conundrums in the rebuild of my system is finding/building a sanitary (or as close as possible) chiller, so any help on that end would be great
I didn't take very many photos but here is one that shows the brazing a little closer. It still needed to be cleaned up a bit after this photo was taken. It was a pretty easy brazing in general.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #126
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, that helps. What did you use to drill out the cap since the metal is so thick? Also did you secure the tri clamp cap so that it was set on top of the npt fitting, then braze by focusing most of the flame on the nptport and just work your way around. If so how did you avoid any downward dripping? Pardon my ignorance, but I am just that when it comes to brazing Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #127
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121 View Post
Thanks, that helps. What did you use to drill out the cap since the metal is so thick? Also did you secure the tri clamp cap so that it was set on top of the npt fitting, then braze by focusing most of the flame on the nptport and just work your way around. If so how did you avoid any downward dripping? Pardon my ignorance, but I am just that when it comes to brazing Thanks!
No problem, I don't mind helping at all. I used this M35 1/2" step bit from eBay. I purchased three step bits from the same seller and they have all been amazing for stainless steel. Still no signs of wearing out and I have beat the hell out of them. Use slow speeds and firm constant pressure plus a good cutting oil. Stop the drilling if the piece gets too hot.

For the brazing I took these steps:
1. Sand both mating surfaces with 220grit.
2. Clean and degrease/de-oil.
3. Place drilled cap and apply jig shown above.
4. Apply brazing paste flux on the exterior of the cap and the threading.
5. Gently heat a broader area around the connection with a torch.
6. Gradually apply more directed heat at the exterior connection point between the two items until the filler begins to flow.
7. The filler will avoid flowing into "colder" areas and is drawn to the hotter areas so I use the torch to draw the filler all the way around the connection and apply more if needed.
8. Quench the brazement with a soaked rag to clean the flux residue.

So in general there are less issues in brazing with dripping or flowing in undesired areas due to the higher temps required. It takes a bit of practice and I wouldn't make your first attempt on a $100 chiller.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #128
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Things are moving along, few more crucial items to finish before I can start tuning the controls.

Here is a picture of four of the LCD keys in action (hard to photograph well):

These four keys were part of an existing board and enclosure. I will be creating a circuit board for the 5 keys above the switches on my front panel.

Speaking of the switches they all arrived last week, going to take a bit of work to get them wired up. I plan to get the front panel water jetted later this week so I can begin installing these.

The switches without any contact blocks will be modified to use with potentiometers for manual element duty cycle or pump speed control. Below is a model of how they will be built.

My temp probes have been built and tested, everything is looking good so far:

The HEX pot arrived and I built the stand for it:

The pot is elevated so one of my pumps can be placed underneath it. Still needs to be secured to the tabletop. The immersion chiller I plan to build the HEX coil from should be back in stock sometime during February according to Midwest Supplies.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #129
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you're looking for a stainless wort chiller you can snag one from here, well built and the price isn't bad either. As an added bonus they also sell rolls of tubing.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #130
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz
If you're looking for a stainless wort chiller you can snag one from here, well built and the price isn't bad either. As an added bonus they also sell rolls of tubing.
I actually contacted NY Supply to see if they could make a custom coil from their 1/2" ID tubing. Unfortunately they don't make custom items. My guess is, just like many of the other suppliers, they source the fab work to vendors overseas. Midwest's coil is exactly the right size for my tank and will only need a few custom bends that I should be able to handle on my own. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick Reply