Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My FULL-ON electric build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #101
Brewer Gerard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice temp probe. Is it thermocouple based? What type of μController are you using? Are all the GUI's developed in LV?

Sorry for all the questions but lovin this build!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #102
wyoder
Recipes 

Great progress!

I see you've got an autotune button in the preliminary GUI, how does the output of that correlate with your wild guess?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #103
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywalsh View Post
Is it thermocouple based? What type of μController are you using? Are all the GUI's developed in LV?
All the answers are detailed in the thread but I will summarize: temp sensor is a DS18B20 1-wire, μC is a LPC1768 via LPCXpresso board, the GUI is all LV with some custom indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoder View Post
Great progress!

I see you've got an autotune button in the preliminary GUI, how does the output of that correlate with your wild guess?
I really haven't played around much with the PID control parameters yet. Tonight I am brewing an India Brown Ale and used the loop a bit for steeping the grains. Overall I just set the controller to 100% until it boils and then adjust it manually to achieve a nice strong rolling boil. Maybe this weekend I can work on tuning the controller, have a few more beers waiting to be brewed.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #104
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quick update. Brewed four beers last week, trying to play catch-up for a long down time. My basement is finally bubbling away again. The dedicated room and equipment makes brewing a breeze compared to propane outside and cleaning up in the bathroom/kitchen.

Started working on the MLT. Added a 3/4" triclamp ferrule to the bottom for a drain and one to the side for a temp probe. Cut the majority of the upper skirt off leaving just the handles behind. It was easy enough that I think I will do the same on the BK and maybe the HLT. Here it is after being cleaned up with a flapper disk. At some point I think I might polish it up but that will have to wait for now.

Parts are beginning to roll in for my first attempt at a DIY peristaltic pump. I will post details on the build if it is even moderately successful...

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #105
TheCrowsNest
Recipes 

I like that idea of cutting off the upper skirt! What'd you use to trim it? Do they feel pretty sturdy still?

Primary - Loop Imperium #2, Horde Vine
Secondary - Warmstone Old, Horde Beer
Kegged - Oculis Negris, Auora Nobilis, Loop Imperium

Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #106
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fantastic build, I don't know how I missed this until now.

It looks like you have background in PLC programming and software. I'm curious if you looked into skipping the HMI/any licensing fees and going with a pure C#/OPC based GUI?

Either way, Awesome work.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #107
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrowsNest View Post
I like that idea of cutting off the upper skirt! What'd you use to trim it? Do they feel pretty sturdy still?
I stole the idea from this thread: How to lighten your sanke keggle

I used a 4-1/2" cutoff disk on my angle grinder, then followed up with a grinding of the weld and finished with a polishing with a 80grit flapper disk. All said and done it took a little over an hour from start to finish.

The handles are very solid, I don't know if you could carry around 15gals of water with them anymore but I don't intend to use them like that.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #108
sj_engr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Wow crazy. How much did all these parts cost?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #109
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt0 View Post
Fantastic build, I don't know how I missed this until now.

It looks like you have background in PLC programming and software. I'm curious if you looked into skipping the HMI/any licensing fees and going with a pure C#/OPC based GUI?

Either way, Awesome work.
Thanks! I'm an EE, well systems engineer, no PLC background but I do love embedded electronics and controls. I really only chose labview as it was available to me (work) and I know it decently well. I basically just build an executable that runs on the HMI machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_engr View Post
Wow crazy. How much did all these parts cost?
A gentlemen never tells... actually I have the prices I paid for each item just not on a centralized list so I really have lost track of the total cost so far. Its best if I can't determine a total $ figure for both myself and SWMBO. Many parts have been scored from eBay so that has helped quite a bit.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #110
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Some of the pump parts rolled in this week, the majority coming from McMaster-Carr. I added some extra parts to the order to mount my Filter from Brewer's Hardware to my stand.

Used a u-bolt plate brazed to a coupling nut to mount the filter to a leg of one of my tables. Heatshrink tubing was applied the u-bolt and some rubber was attached to the plate to keep the filter in place. Overall, the outcome looks just like the model planned in 3D.

Mount:

Mounted to stand:

3D Model:

The filter is nice and sturdy and with the addition of some wing nuts it will be really easy to remove at the end of each brew session to be cleaned. I also started working on the BK this weekend, still have a bit of work and some parts left to order for it to be complete.

Quick Reply