Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My final wish...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also, if Airborne does decide to off himself, I'm calling dibs on his equipment. ;-)

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown496 View Post
I swear I just did it last weekend guys! I used 2 1500w elements and my stovetop to get to a boil and then 1 1500w element to keep the boil going! It was in my house, with a range hood going, and no lid or any insulation on the pot! It worked great!
It might be able to maintain a five gallon boil. The bigger issue is getting up to boil. As you note, you used two heat sticks and the stove burner to do that.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

It worked by the way. I just got finished testing it out. I'm going to add more epoxy to some spots though and let it cure more before using it next week.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Ok, take that back, it DIDN'T WORK. Well sort of. Some how the damn thing worked and I didn't get electrocuted, nor did the socket trip. BUT, when I went to take it out of the bucket, I heard something and noticed that the stick was much heavier than when I put it in. The damn thing was nearly FULL of water! How the hell the water didn't get to the wires I'll never know. I'm going to take the whole thing about and re-weld it with actual JB Weld. The guy at Home Depot told me the Goop stuff I bought was the same thing. Yeah, guess not.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Now you guys who have seen my past posts in this section know why I was so serious about not doing this myself.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I have 4 1500 watt heatsticks. I used to use them to boil 12 gallons or so, brewing 10 gallon batches. I used JB weld on the back of the element, then some RTV silicone caulk liberally on the front after they were mounted in the drain pipe. They have plenty of brews on them, and the caulk has gone from colorless to light brown, but is has never leaked. You just need to give it about a week to cure before using it unless you're brewing a sour beer, as it gives off a vinegar aroma.

I was convinced they had to have 12 gauge wire. The extension cords I used were probably the biggest expense of the project.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Question: I'm going to re-weld this thing tomorrow with JB weld, like I should have originally. Should I peel the off the other stuff or can I go over it?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You should get that thing cleaned up as much as possible. In fact it might be wise to scrap any pieces that have that goop stuff on it and replace with new pieces so that you are ensuring that the JB Weld adheres/bonds to the piece itself instead of the goop which may or may not be bonded.

Oh and I believes this is the first time this has been said:
GFCI!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Lou1998
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use two 1500w heatsticks for my 5 gallon batches and it works great. I get a steady rolling boil in my kettle and don't need to use a stove. Just be sure to plug them into separate circuits on separate breakers.
I saw another website that recommended you use acetone to thin out the JB weld and then pour it into the heatstick so it completely covers the element connections. I did this and it worked really well. It will just take longer to cure and you have to make sure to keep the heatstick in one place so the JB weld won't run out.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou1998 View Post
I use two 1500w heatsticks for my 5 gallon batches and it works great. I get a steady rolling boil in my kettle and don't need to use a stove. Just be sure to plug them into separate circuits on separate breakers.
I saw another website that recommended you use acetone to thin out the JB weld and then pour it into the heatstick so it completely covers the element connections. I did this and it worked really well. It will just take longer to cure and you have to make sure to keep the heatstick in one place so the JB weld won't run out.
Don't thin the JB Weld too much. It tends to shrink and crack if it's thinned very much.

Quick Reply