New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My electric brewery build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Ajgeo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks good! What kettles are those? Concord?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Sub'd, looking good so far!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kettles

Ajgeo - Got them on ebay. Here's a link to a current auction from the seller I purchased from...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-QT-Quart-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-Brewing-Kettle-Large-w-Lid-/190745925567?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6957d7bf

Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wink

Very nice. I will be following since i have 25 gallon pots and want to go electric. If you can hurry up within the next week, I can get mine started.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

SavoryChef - I'm aiming to brew on the system on Christmas Day. This is going to be a weekend project (with a nice push at the end of the year, when I take the last two weeks as vacation.)

Within the next two weeks, I plan to have the kettles, stand and pumps done... Control panel is going to take some time, and I'm still a bit on the fence on whether to buy one from Kal or not.

I know I'll learn a ton, building it myself, but that will make it a longer/slower project.

Thoughts on build versus buy for CP??

Primary: Gluten Free Dos-Equis Clone 1.14
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Gingerbread Stout 12.13
Kegged: IPA 11.13
Commercial Tap: Bell's Two Hearted
In Bottles: Hopslam, eSCB Holiday Ale 8.13

On Deck: IPA 3.13

Gallons in 2014: 11

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGus View Post
SavoryChef - I'm aiming to brew on the system on Christmas Day. This is going to be a weekend project (with a nice push at the end of the year, when I take the last two weeks as vacation.)

Within the next two weeks, I plan to have the kettles, stand and pumps done... Control panel is going to take some time, and I'm still a bit on the fence on whether to buy one from Kal or not.

I know I'll learn a ton, building it myself, but that will make it a longer/slower project.

Thoughts on build versus buy for CP??
Design & build it yourself. You will not regret it. Plus you will save $'s and have it function your way.

Just Saying...
P-J
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #17
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm having a similar dilema. I'm at a similar stage in my build and continue to have a very hard time pulling the trigger on Kal's panel....simply from a cost perspective. This was supposed to be a hobby and although it has turned more into an obsession, $1500 for an unassemble control panel is a huge investment. Kal's panel is top notch and an absolute work of art. I live in North Oakland County, the automotive capital of the world, and have shown his panel to several of my patients who are electrical engineers that work on system controls for the auto assembly plants. They all agree that Kal's panel is very meticulously designed with sound components. They also feel that when all is considered, the price isn't out of line either.

I have absolutely no background in electronic control systems and although I am comfortable with basic household circuitry and wiring, this type of a build feels totally overwhelming for me to handle independently. I have a neighbor that is an EE who would help me assemble Kal's panel, but asking him to help me design, source parts, and assemble a panel from scratch is asking waaaaaay too much. If I was an absolute genius in this field like PJ (BTW...Thanks for your help in the past with my temp. controllers PJ!), then it would be a no brainer and I'd design and build it myself. Unfortunately that is not the case, so I'm stuck! I also have a couple of other patients that feel as though this could be controlled with an Arduino microprocessing system with some relays, etc. for a fraction of the cost. I have no background in system controls OR programming, so again, I keep going back to Kal's panel as my most viable option.

I have been obsessing over what to do for several months and am still very torn......sorry to hijack MadGus.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
I'm having a similar dilema.
I hear you loud and clear. I have drawn a few hundred diagrams using Auber Instruments PIDs and accessories. Easy to build and easy to control all of the functions. (And not all that expensive either.)

If you have a plan, perhaps I might be able to help.

P-J

Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No stress, Hoppo. We're both trying to solve the same thing. I haven't sourced any parts for my CP yet, as I seem to have "analysis paralysis." I'm going to spend some time over the next few days, thinking about the details of the brew process that I want to have, and see if that creates any clarity for my "automation" needs.

P-J... appreciate your perspective very much on this, as someone who has helped many on this board.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Did some thinking and research on control panel this week, and have found two options (neither of which is quite right??). Looking for thoughts/input, here please (P-J).

OPTION #1: Interested in thoughts on the kit below, from ebrewsupply.com. Seems that for $557, I can get most of the parts (no PIDs, no wire) for a 50A, two element back to back panel.

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/index.php/ebrew-kits/ebrew-pid-kits/pid-2-element-2-pumps-50a-kit.html

Two problems I see with this:

1) I'm not interested in running 4500W elements in my kettles (already purchased 5500W elements, and have no intention of brewing back to back batches)
2) The wiring schematic on their website doesn't have any #6 wire in the plan... #10 is the largest. Not sure if that's appropriate with 50A service coming into the panel?

OPTION #2: Subscribed to Rickochet's thread (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/wiring-diagrams-365034/), as his setup looks very similar to what I'm interested in. Again, I don't want to design the panel for back to back batches at this point (despite having 50A service which could handle it, if I downsized my elements to 4500W each).

Quick Reply