Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My Electric BK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My Electric BK

Apartment living can, and often does, present challenges to my homebrewing ambitions. My brewing process has, to this point, never really left my stove-top. I have been lucky enough in that the last two apartments, that I have called home, came with a decent stove installed. Full boils for my 5.5 gal batches were achievable, if only just. Even then, it takes a dreadful long time to get my wort to boil temps and to describe the boil as "rolling" could be considered, by some, an optimistic appraisal.

Since I have the ambition to step up my batch capacity to 11 gallon batches I was going to have to upgrade equipment in my process that addressed the boil capacity weakness. This meant a Boil Kettle upgrade and I wanted to go electric. I have no intention to change my mashing process at this time, which is done on the stove-top using 1 to 2 7.5 gallon pots (BIAB style). I can continue to mash my 5.5 gallon batches and even mash 11 gallon batches using this method.

My intention was to upgrade to a 13 to 20 gallon Boil Kettle and install a 5500w Camco ULWD burner which I could run from any 240v 30amp service with a simple control device. Here is what I came up with:

13 gallon "Milk Can" kettle with tri-clover sanitary fittings, Kal's Heating Element kit and a 240v 30amp variable output control panel:

Kal's Heating Element Kit installed with a tri-clover sanitary fitting:

Inside Boil Kettle (element installed):

Control panel:

Test boil in progress:

Works perfectly! I draw power from the 240v 30amp service that is installed for the dryer in my laundry closet. With some careful wiring (with the oversight of an expert) a bit of adjustment to Kal's Heating Element Kit installation process (to fit my sanitary fitting connections) and the use of a 240v 30amp GFCI cord, this thing is ready for its maiden brew!

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts

Nice work! I, too, am limited to the stove in the winter and find myself in much the same place as you.

I'm almost thinking I should put something like this together with a 1500W element that I could plug right into the wall to supplement the stove top.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
matc
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

nice ! I like the milk kettle ! Are you still gonna be able to put that kettle under your kitchen hood when boiling ?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matc View Post
I like the milk kettle!
Thanks! I chose this for my kettle because it is configured for a secondary use for me as well. Works great for a Boil Kettle.

Quote:
Are you still gonna be able to put that kettle under your kitchen hood when boiling ?
It sits on the floor in front of my stove during a boil, so the draw from my range hood provides sufficient ventilation. I just put it on the counter top for the photos.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

LOVE the milk kettle. Where'd ya get it?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Many of the sites we are not allowed to discuss on here sell them for the "other" use.

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewfreeordie View Post
LOVE the milk kettle. Where'd ya get it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
Many of the sites we are not allowed to discuss on here sell them for the "other" use.
This.

Chad

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Bullmano
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Was your control panel something that you designed and built? If so, could you post some details?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullmano View Post
Was your control panel something that you designed and built? If so, could you post some details?
I purchased the control panel. Sent you a PM with more info.

Chad

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckels View Post
I'm almost thinking I should put something like this together with a 1500W element that I could plug right into the wall to supplement the stove top.
I don't see why that would not work for you. I have yet to see anyone build something like that so it would be an interesting DYI project to watch develop.

Chad

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply