New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My eBIAB single-vessel build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
Ragtop232
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tim, I am planning on a test run next weekend. I plan on checking it out on Saturday and if all goes well, hope to brew an American Pale Ale Sunday. I will post photos soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sweet! Hope it goes well. I'm thinking about pursuing a similar system.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #33
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here are some photos of the 2nd test run. First test run, we had a bad thermistor and had to get that exchanged. I'll warn you up front, these are taken at night and poor lighting of course, and with my iPhone. We are planning on a real run next Saturday, so I'll have a good camera and will try to get some video as well.

First, here's the system:

Pardon the mess, but this was rolled out to the edge of the garage and you can see my Harley covered. Hopefully you'll get an idea of the system's footprint and what it looks like.

Next is the top, here you'll see where we mounted the thermowell and a ninty degree fitting coming out of the lid. This is the return during recirculation.

Here you'll see where the element goes. This is the hardware from Brewers Hardware. I have an anode on one side of the element and a 6" thermowell on the other. This will be used during the chilling stage. I used some blacktape on the cable because it looks like it would be easy to unravel. I have checked inside this fitting, 2 times, and it's as dry as a bone. Nice setup from Brewers Hardware.

Finally, here's the part I dreamed up. I liked BIAB, but thought the flow would go to the path of least resistance and therefore maybe run through the sides without going down to the bottom of the grain bed. My thoughts, I purchased a 9 gal Bayou Classic SS kettle, had a bail put in, cut the bottom out leaving a 1" skirt and had a blichman false bottom welded in. I also had the handles cut off. Next we drilled 4 holes for legs, it will stand about 4.5" above the bottom, allowing enough clearance from the element as well as a reservoir of about 3.25 gal of liquid. This will allow a fairly regular mash consistency while still having all the mash water in the kettle. I hope this works as I think. I will know more after the live run next weekend and I'll report back.

Also, the High Gravity EBC SV worked flawlessly on the two test runs we've made. Kept temps within 1 degree either way. It took 38 minutes to ramp 52 degree water to strike of 156 degrees, this was while recirculating as well. Using 4500 Watt element @80%

I'll be happy to answer any questions. I will also, as stated above, get much better pictures during the full brew next weekend.

Jim

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #34
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Ragtop232,

The images do not display on your last post. (#33)

Edit: Great - You fixed it.

P-J

Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #35
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

P-J, check now. I had to edit the links slightly. I also wanted to update the list on my electrical decision. I bought the 50 amp spa box from Home Depot, Eaton BR50SPA. At $54.00 it was the cheapest option for me and also offered an easy shutoff without having to go to the main panel. No way would I touch anything on my system unless it was GFCI protected.

Jim

Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #36
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Jim,

You fixed it.

Excellent.

Re: The Spa panel. - Based on the description I believe you are A-Ok.

P-J

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #37
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

P-J, Below is a picture of the spa-panel before wiring the female plug. What you see here is the Panel with the feed from a 30 amp breaker in the main breaker box. Notice the white "pigtail" going to the neutral bar as well as the white from the main breaker box. I then wired the breaker black & red to individual mains, green to ground and white to the center insert of the GFCI breaker, this coming from the feed to the female 4 prong plugin.

Jim

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #38
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That's some nice Pron there! I had no clue they made the CFC's in stainless...I never liked how it was the only copper thing in my all-stainless system, it just didn't seem to match. Makes me want to go back to using a CFC!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow! That looks fantastic! Can't wait to see your brew day pics.

What does the underside of the lid look like? I was checking out the eBIAB system from High Gravity versus building my own like yours.

What does the underside of the lid look like? The HG system sprays it out in a circular fashion to the sides. How does yours work?

Thanks again for the pics.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #40
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
That's some nice Pron there! I had no clue they made the CFC's in stainless...I never liked how it was the only copper thing in my all-stainless system, it just didn't seem to match. Makes me want to go back to using a CFC!
Williams brewing has them for 180, I'm wanting to replace my copper convoluted CFC with the SS modle.

Nice work ragtop, great looking system and great wright up.

Quick Reply