Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
sambogi76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My E-HERMS build pix

HLT, HEX I used a 5500W element @220V

HEX inlet (top) outlet (bottom)

MLT with bottom drain

This may be a unique way of attaching a FB, I used a 2" ss nipple and drilled holes around it to allow proper draining (attaching it to the bottom drain), I had to drill out the center hole out bigger in the FB so I could fit it threw the other side of the 2" nipple, then I used a locknut to hold the FB down and a cap to keep the grains from going threw the other side of the nipple.

I did a simple test yesterday using just water to see how things worked, I can heat 15 gallons in ~45 minutes and this thing looks like a can easily maintain my temps with ease, and I can ramp up to mash out temps from 152 to 165 in 5 minutes using ~1 GPM!!!
Thanks bobbyM for the sight tubes (they work great!), bargain fittings, and everyone that helped here on HBT.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
sambogi76
Recipes 

It may not win a beauty contest or the bling contest here, but I think it is going to be 100% functional and I no longer have to worry about falling mash temps.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
sambogi76
Recipes 

And I did forget to put the pix of my return, but it is just the normal copper wort return

Old 03-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are you going to agitate your hlt water? I found I needed to in my herms setup. Also, at 1gpm, I think you will get about a 1 degree temp rise per minute. At least that is what i have seen in most setups at that rate.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
sambogi76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
Are you going to agitate your hlt water? I found I needed to in my herms setup. Also, at 1gpm, I think you will get about a 1 degree temp rise per minute. At least that is what i have seen in most setups at that rate.
No agitation necessary, after testing I found that only if their was a huge difference in HLT TEMP and MLT temp (I'm talking about 50-100 F). And during a mash I will never see this. And I have checked the temps at 2 inch depth of my HLT and it was in sync with my probe that was ~15" in depth of the water level (no stratification). I tested the @#$% out of this thing to make me prepared for my first brew day with this.

And 2nd, you may be right, I have seen that as a norm around here too. It may be something completely different when I have some crushed grain in the MLT instead of just water, but I'm not sure how many people who got those #'s had uninsulated MLTs, this could drastically change the time it would take to heat it up. Their is a couple of variable that can change this time...

Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

on your pwr in side.. what are you using to seperate your 120 from 240??? shows that simple does work.. now if i can get that through my own head and quit spending more and money i could finish my setup also.. might need to do temp setup to get up and runnign eherms

Quick Reply