Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My E-HERMS Brew Rig Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #101
moparx12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am ready now to completely clean out all of my kegs and also the plumbing. What chemical do you guys use for this? I read somewhere to use barkeepers friend in the kegs, but what about the insides of all of the pipes? I have been doing some tests with pumping water and i have gotten a lot of flux residue coming out of the pipes. Any recommendations? I have copper pipes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #102
TheAleMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I built my CFC, I heated up a few gallons of water with a quart of vinegar and pumped it through the copper. Flushed out a bunch of stuff. Seemed to work well.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #103
moparx12
Recipes 

ok thanks i will try that. system is down for a bit becausethe encoder stopped working properly and i just sent the bretroller board to Florida for repair. will have to wait until i get that back before i can brew!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #104
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would oxyclean(R.I.P.) work for cleaning that stuff up? Perhaps you can run it through your system and stop it with the solution in mid-process. Let it sit for a few and then flush it all out.

Resident Minarchist

Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #105
moparx12
Recipes 

well guys, i have purchased everything i need to brew two different beers on my rig. First i want to brew the centennial blonde just because it is quick and wont cost too much if i mess up the first batch through my rig. The second is a maibock recipe that i obtained from this site somewhere as well. I have wated to brew a lager and now i have the capability with a freezer and Fermtroller!

However, I ran into a problem this weekend when running boiling water from one of my chinese pumps and through the CFC to the outlet (cleaning everything). the magnet cracked and split apart, causing the pump to jam. I have contacted the company through ebay, and they are determining what to do fix the problem. The pumps are rated for 100C, so i am hoping that this was only a fluke and they will send me a replacement free of charge. I have two of these pumps on my rig, and have run plenty of boiling water through the first pump without failure.

Ill be sure to post up a video of the operation as soon as i have it working!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #106
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want to borrow a pump so you can brew while you get this sorted out, let me know.

Resident Minarchist

Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #107
moparx12
Recipes 

thanks man, i am just going to hold off, my pumps are wired for 24 VDC and it is all hard lined. not impossible to do but i would rather just wait. i appreciate the offer. are you in any brew clubs or anything? we should meet up for a brew somewhere.

Quick Reply