Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My BCS-460 eHERMS build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
beluedog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

also looking at your link "The following relays have a transistor booster on the input, which virtually eliminates the current requirement of the coil. This means that a BCS 5vdc 20ma output can easily switch the relay."

thats for relay control not for powering the coil i.e the BCS can switch lots of relays but not actually power them. In your enclosure looks like you have lots of room for a AC to DC switching power supply and could even use that to step up to 6V to power the BCS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
jbbeer
Recipes 

Ah Ok. How does this sound. I'll fuse a single supply to the relays at something like 10A (rating for the relays). Then I'll fuse the individual pump outputs after the board. I have to look it up but I think 2A each is plenty.

About the relays. Now that I have reread that (I don't know how many times) I think I almost understand. I will need roughly 90mA for each of the board relays - so 270mA (only using 3 of them). I can't find the spec sheet for the Mager SSRs I have but other similar ones require 2mA. So for all 5 relays on at once 274mA are needed. The BCS puts out 300mA. Now does each output of the BCS (at 20mA each) need to be accounted for within that 300mA total as well?

The DC power supply that came with the BCS is 6V. Could I just power the board and the BCS with this? The only problem might be that it puts out 1A - the BCS spec says it needs 0.66A, and the relay board needs 5VDC/0.4A.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
jbbeer
Recipes 

Rather than source a new AC/DC power supply for the BCS and the relay board I have found a cheaper option: an old cell phone charger. The one I have is rated at 5vDC 890mA.

I think I will use the cell phone charger for the board and use the power supply that came with the BCS for the BCS. It just so happens that I bought two of these power entry modules:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/S...ns8D2Pr5pMQ%3d

So all in all these things and the two power supplies shouldn't take up too much space inside the enclosure.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #14
beluedog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

sounds like a good plan

Quick Reply