Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Moving to Electric and Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Tfire136
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Moving to Electric and Need Help

Whats up everyone!

I have been AG brewing for about a year now and would love to transfer away from the electric stove and propane burner into a nice electric HERMS setup. I have been doing a ton of reading and have hit information overload lol. I am only interested in doing 3g and 5g batches. My current equipment consists of an 11g and a 9g Bayou Classic stainless pot and a 10 gallon round cooler (the Home Depot one). I am hoping to create a simple setup where I can control my MLT and HLT (through the use of a PID). I was checking out Kal's electric brewery and was able to follow along until I seen the control panel. I love his setup and would like to set up my kettles in a similar fashion. The big problem is that I know next to nothing about electricity. If I can, I would like to use 2, 2000W 120v elements. I do understand that I will need to split the power up between 2, 20 amp circuits (my home was built in 1998 so I assume the kitchen has 2 circuits). I just placed an order for a March pump and would like to keep the build within the 5-600$ range (money is not the issue, just my knowledge of hooking all this stuff up lol). I would appreciate any information people may have. It would also be helpful if someone knows of a similar type of build and could point me in the right direction. I am sure this is the first of many questions, but appreciate the help in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Tfire136
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Top for the afternoon crowd I have been playing with my equipment, and my initial thoughts are to use the cooler as a HLT with an element and HERMS coil installed, use the 11g pot as the MLT and the 9g as a boil kettle (I may just stick with propane for the boil). My big problem is I don't really know what I need to put together to get the HLT and MLT up an running.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Tfire136
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone??? Was looking at the Countertop Brutus 20 setup....that may fit the bill.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd to the other way around and use the kettle as the hlt and the cooler as the mlt. This way you are heating in the metal, and using the heat exchanger in the plastic. here is a diagram of a simple hermes system run by a brewtroller. http://www.brewtroller.com/wiki/doku...m_design:start

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Quick Reply