Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Most basic electric possible
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
 
redman67's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 396
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Yea, phases refers to the primary wires typically the wires at the top of the telephone poles

__________________

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

redman67 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,592
Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
Quoting the first link that pops up with your search criteria shows

Three-wire, 120/240 volt single phase power used in the United States and Canada is sometimes incorrectly called "two-phase". The proper term is split phase or 3-wire single-phase. The two live outputs of a 3-wire single phase transformer secondary winding are properly called "legs".
The point was that two phase power does or can exist, but that typical household power is not it.
__________________

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,592
Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman67 View Post
Yea, phases refers to the primary wires typically the wires at the top of the telephone poles
If you look at it in the same context as the panel board they're basically legs too, but have (typically) 120 deg offset in today's systems.

The power poles at the far end of our block carry all three legs of the three-phase distribution, but only one leg is tapped to the transformer providing 120/240V split phase service to the block.
__________________

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,284
Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
Just an FYI there is no such thing as 2 phase power. It is either single phase 220 or 3 phase 220. There are other variation when you use more power lke 480 Delta but no 2 phase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I believe that you are mistaken. Please do a Google on "2 phase power".

P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
Quoting the first link that pops up with your search criteria shows

Three-wire, 120/240 volt single phase power used in the United States and Canada is sometimes incorrectly called "two-phase". The proper term is split phase or 3-wire single-phase. The two live outputs of a 3-wire single phase transformer secondary winding are properly called "legs".
Again... You stated in your first post "there is no such thing as 2 phase power".

That statment is patently incorrect. Also, your last reply does not relate in any way to 2 phase power either.

I'm done.!
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
orion7144's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cinci, Oh
Posts: 338
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Again... You stated in your first post "there is no such thing as 2 phase power".

That statment is patently incorrect. Also, your last reply does not relate in any way to 2 phase power either.

I'm done.!

There is NO 2 phase power in residential or commercial application. Anything that requires 2 phases (220 is NOT 2 phase) uses a 3 phase source and uses 2 LEGS of that 3 phase. Look it up it is in the NECA/NEIS code witch all electricians are to follow.
__________________
orion7144 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeffmeh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,884
Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
There is NO 2 phase power in residential or commercial application. Anything that requires 2 phases (220 is NOT 2 phase) uses a 3 phase source and uses 2 LEGS of that 3 phase. Look it up it is in the NECA/NEIS code witch all electricians are to follow.
This is very different from your original statement, that "there is no such thing as 2 phase power," which is wrong. Check out the history of Niagara Falls, for example.
__________________
jeffmeh is offline
P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
orion7144's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cinci, Oh
Posts: 338
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
This is very different from your original statement, that "there is no such thing as 2 phase power," which is wrong. Check out the history of Niagara Falls, for example.

You are correct I should have said in recent history it is not used.


And thanks for your polite way of pointing it out.
__________________
orion7144 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,227
Liked 157 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Phases, wattage, codes, jeez! Guess I'll stick to propane, thanks guys!!!

__________________
Demus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
nm999
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Az
Posts: 93
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default

If you guys want to fight about semantics of phases you should go to an electricians forum and not hijack someone else's thread.

To the OP, the most basic electric would be a water heater element controlled by a pwm in your BK to heat mash/spare water and to also boil your wort.
Search any of the terms: element, pwm, ekettle, etc, and you will find plenty of info. Or look at the threads referenced at the boy you of this very page.

You should be able to put it together
for less than $100.

__________________
nm999 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
tektonjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ohmihachiman, Japan
Posts: 694
Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Phases, wattage, codes, jeez! Guess I'll stick to propane, thanks guys!!!
+1 Well, these guys are passionate about their electricity!

Still say mine is the most basic, as the juice flow unimpeded to the element, no rheostat, PWM, PID, or any combination of letters. I'll try to get a pic up shortly for you to see.
__________________

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

tektonjp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic 3 Tier electric setup help (e-brew noob) jdog101 Electric Brewing 7 02-04-2013 04:58 PM
Simple Electric Setup Help (Electric Boil Kettle and Cooler Mash Tun) Velinos Electric Brewing 3 11-08-2012 12:20 PM
Basic electric BK Kosch Electric Brewing 8 02-03-2012 02:21 PM
Thoughts on Semi DIY electric rig "build". High Gravity BYO SS electric + BCS BllShter Brew Stands 2 11-06-2011 05:18 PM
electric brew with no electric LKHA General Beer Discussion 6 04-11-2011 01:09 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS