Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Modular Electric Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #61
jfkriege
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a bottom center drain on both kettles. They are the primary drains hooked up to the pumps, and I think they work great. Having another port is not an issue, though. You just plug it up when not in use.

If you go slowly with the pump under the mash, there is no issue with sticking the mash. I have yet to do it, including some very high percentage wheat batches. I do use rice hulls as insurance.

As for the whirlpool, I have that fancy whirlpool arm that works quite well and I never end up using it. I simply place the hose from the outlet of the pump into the keg against one wall. It spins everything just fine. Then in stead of letting it settle, I rack out as soon as it is cold through a filter bag. Done quickly and easily. I would not whirlpool and then filter; pick the one you like and go with that.

Joshua

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #62
SmokingDog
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you think that you get less efficiency mashing and recirculating the full volume of boil water (no mash) as opposed to somehow using a temporary third vessel as a holding tank to sparge?

I'm just not grasping the concept that not sparging is that much less effective. Possibly need to mash a little longer? But if your mash and sparge normally takes 60/30 mins (90 total), why wouldn't a no sparge for 90 or even 120 mins, ramping up the temp to 170 for the last 30 be equivalent?

Todd.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #63
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Dude....how in the heck did you get the rubber off the cornies? I tried everything, even an angle grinder, and it just resulted in billows of foul white smoke and a black gritty mess....I finally gave up so I could reassess....my garage smells like a drag race.

Quick Reply