Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Modobrew's Electric Brewery Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Good luck installing the coil - that was the biggest PITA for me... trying to get both fittings tight. My advice - make sure the coil is flush and installed the way you want before you crank down on it - mine was a bit askew and it crimped the fittings a bit and required some time with a dremel and sanding tool to get everything back to have it fit flush.

Enjoy the rest of the build!
-Kevin

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Southern Pecan
On Deck: Winter Spice Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
snail
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

What size HERMS coil did you get? I'm building a HERMS system right now and have the exact pot (Concord 80qt) you do. I bought the 14" coil from stainlessbrewing and it just barely fit in the pot. I had to put the coil into the pot with compressions on and thread the nipple through the hole onto the compressions. If I mounted the nipple/valve and tried to put the coil onto that, there wasn't enough room. But I got it to work...

Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
modobrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
All in good time. This isnt a 'weekend DIY' project.

Be sure to leak test the HLT with only the element installed before installing the HERMS coil. Once you tighten the compression fittings ($30) you dont want to have to pull the coil to mess with the element again.

Press-on and good luck!
Very good suggestion. note to self, must check for leaks before installing HERMS!

I agree, patience, patience, patience! haha, I'm just really ready to brew on this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
What size HERMS coil did you get? I'm building a HERMS system right now and have the exact pot (Concord 80qt) you do. I bought the 14" coil from stainlessbrewing and it just barely fit in the pot. I had to put the coil into the pot with compressions on and thread the nipple through the hole onto the compressions. If I mounted the nipple/valve and tried to put the coil onto that, there wasn't enough room. But I got it to work...
I have the exact same coil. I noticed last night it looks like it might be tough to get in there. I may end up cutting a little bit off the ends to make it a little easier to install. I'll keep ya updated.
Carboy 2: Empty
Secondary: Vanilla Bourbon Porter
Bottle: Hibernation Ale Clone
Bottle: Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA
Keg 1: Southern Tier Pumking Clone
Keg 2: Kolsch
Keg 3: Angry Wolf IIPA

Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you try to cut off a bit, it will probably not be perfectly round anymore and then you will not be able to attach the compression fittings.... Caution.

And now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
modobrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB
If you try to cut off a bit, it will probably not be perfectly round anymore and then you will not be able to attach the compression fittings.... Caution.
Thanks for the bit of info. You think even with a tube cutter, and taking time, it still would end up not being round? Now you have me questioning myself. Haha

Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well the tube cutter should do it. I couldnt find an affordable tube cutter for stainless steel. To cut my dip tubes, I ended up turning a dowel to fit inside and then cutting them with a saw w/ metal cutting blade.....despite the dowels, they were compressed out of round so I had to bend them round by tapping it against a stainless steel cone (lathe tailstock)

Maybe it will not be an issue for you

And now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
Good luck installing the coil - that was the biggest PITA for me... trying to get both fittings tight. My advice - make sure the coil is flush and installed the way you want before you crank down on it - mine was a bit askew and it crimped the fittings a bit and required some time with a dremel and sanding tool to get everything back to have it fit flush.

Enjoy the rest of the build!
-Kevin
Hmm. Well, I guess that's a good argument for a copper HERMS coil then. Copper is a heck of a lot easier to compress.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 137

You're very limited to cut anymore off the ends, maybe 1/2" and then it starts to turn into the bend. You can slide the nut and ferrules to get an idea how much room you have to play with. Anything from before the bend down the coil turn more oval the smaller diameter coil you go. Fittings can be smacked on and then set but it can be tricky. Something that makes installation so much easier is to set the ferrules onto the tubing outside of the pot instead of inside. Once they are set you can unscrew the body, install the fitting to the pot and then insert your tubing and snug the nuts up. The manufacturer require a 1-1/4" turn after you get the nut finger tight to install the ferrules correctly.

modobrew Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
modobrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
You're very limited to cut anymore off the ends, maybe 1/2" and then it starts to turn into the bend. You can slide the nut and ferrules to get an idea how much room you have to play with. Anything from before the bend down the coil turn more oval the smaller diameter coil you go. Fittings can be smacked on and then set but it can be tricky. Something that makes installation so much easier is to set the ferrules onto the tubing outside of the pot instead of inside. Once they are set you can unscrew the body, install the fitting to the pot and then insert your tubing and snug the nuts up. The manufacturer require a 1-1/4" turn after you get the nut finger tight to install the ferrules correctly.
Thanks for this response Zach. I didn't realize it was going to be such a hassle to get this installed. Had I known I would have had you either make a smaller diameter, or bend the ends a little differently. Oh well, now I know. I'll make this work some way or another. You're work is incredible and I definitely recommend you to anyone on here looking for any SS tubing.

I'm going to try my luck at making some dip tubes, however, if I fail, you will be getting another order from me. I believe that would be order number 4 from me! QUIT TAKING MY MONEY! haha

Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Don't be scared, just dive in and do it. Take your time and think things through though before you start cutting and bending things. Do the things I mentioned above and it shouldn't be that bad.

Quick Reply