The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > MASH Water Flow Direction > Stuck Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
thargrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default MASH Water Flow Direction > Stuck Mash

I just had a thought - is anyone pumping water through their mash from the bottom up? This would be one way to prevent a stuck mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The Speidel Braumeister pumps the water up through the mash. If you're talking about a stuck sparge, I don't think up flow would work in the traditional sense of sparging.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

half of the reason to circulate durring the main mash is for the vourlauff (sp?) effect of clearing the particulate out of the wort. if you pumped in reverse, all the particles would be deposited at the bottom of the grain bed. then when you went to sparge, they would all come out into the boil kettle where you dont want them.

i dont think reverse sparging would work very well. you would probably have to reverse the flow back to top-to-bottom in order to sparge.

ive pumped into the bottom before to clear a stuck sparge. it does work for that, its just not something to do as a normal practice. if you are getting stuck sparges (mashes?), you should work on your false bottom, or adjust your flow rate to avoid grainbed compaction instead.

Quick Reply