Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Manual vs electronically controlled heating elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #51
TonySwank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses PJ.

I did have some luck switching the neutral and the ground coming in to the switch. Doing this I was able to get the light to turn on when the switched was activated, however if I had a load connected to the switch the breaker would trip. Here is a picture of the spa panel, which I believe is wired correctly.

The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is wired like this, which looks correct

The power cord is this one

Coleman Cable 09046 6-Foot 50-Amp 4-Wire Range Power Cord

and the din modules I used are these

After still getting nowhere. I decided to try something basic, unwiring everything and just trying to power the 110 duplex outlet. The power in to the DIN rail was connect to power on the duplex, neutral in (white wire in) to neutral on the duplex, and ground in (green wire in) to ground on the duplex. Power was switched on and I plugged in a small fan. As soon as I switched the power to the fan on the breaker tripped. I tried switching the neutral and the ground and had the breaker tripped just as it did before. All wires for the 110 were 14 gage. Obviously there is a very basic problem with my setup but I can't figure out what it is.

Could the grounding of the box be causing an issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #52
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Not easy to follow in the picture, but, I believe it's wired wrong.

The left red arrow indicates the power input to the panel. It is coming from the right hand cord in the bottom of the box. Now if you follow the neutral coming from the center output terminal on the GFCI breaker (right red arrow) you see that it is going to the power input cable as well. Also if you follow the white wire on the output cable (the left one) it is going to the common neutral bus. IMHO the neutral input output is reversed.

This Post # 50 shows the correct setup.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #53
TonySwank
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Not easy to follow in the picture, but, I believe it's wired wrong.

The left red arrow indicates the power input to the panel. It is coming from the right hand cord in the bottom of the box. Now if you follow the neutral coming from the center output terminal on the GFCI breaker (right red arrow) you see that it is going to the power input cable as well. Also if you follow the white wire on the output cable (the left one) it is going to the common neutral bus. IMHO the neutral input output is reversed.

This Post # 50 shows the correct setup.

PJ, you were correct. The neutral wires were switched, I should have caught that when checking the wiring or ideally the electrician would have wired it correctly, but all is well now. Just did a test run with both kettles and they worked extremely well, boiled 5 gallons in about 10 minutes. Very excited and will be doing a batch tomorrow.

Picture of the test run

I can't thank everyone on here enough, there is no way I could have done this without the incredible resources on this forum.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #54
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

AWESOME.!!!

I'm so glad that I could be of some help to you.

I'm all smiles with your success. Congrats!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #55
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there anyway you would be able to either post or PM me a list of materials you used to build the Control Panel you created. It is exactly what I have been looking for in terms of affordability and practicality.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #56
TonySwank
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGC View Post
Is there anyway you would be able to either post or PM me a list of materials you used to build the Control Panel you created. It is exactly what I have been looking for in terms of affordability and practicality.
Currently working on all of the documentation. I'll get a thread started once it is all put together.

List of everything used. Uploaded it as a jpeg and have a link to the google docs spreadsheet. Hopefully this will get you started.

A link to the spreadsheet

Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #57
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you Tony, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Quick Reply