Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Making a tri clamp element adapter weldless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
tjash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Making a tri clamp element adapter weldless?

Anyone ever try to make one of the Brewers Hardware 1/1.5" triclamp element adapters (here) weldless by using a tri-clamp to male NPT fitting (here)? Pass the threads through a hole in the kettle, seal it up with a 1.5" locknut and silicone washer; maybe one on either side. Basically, a bigazz weldless fitting.

Just curious if anyone has tried it, and what the drawbacks might be.

Assuming that's not possible - anyone know a good welder in the DC area? What does it usually cost to have a 1.5" tri clamp fitting welded on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
tjash
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
A straight element would fit, however, without welding a washer or flange to the 1.5” MPT fitting there would be no place for it to catch or seal. The widest point is the threads, the hex is actually undercut behind the threads. My other worry would be getting an o-ring to seal unless the curve diameter of the vessel is very large or you create a flat spot on the wall
That just in from Brewers Hardware. VERY fast reply - great service from those guys! I sent a note to their general product inquiry link at the same time I posted the message above.

Confirms some of my worries. Might work with a couple of locknuts on the outside to provide something to tighten against, but 1 1/2" locknuts are $14/ea. Probably less hassle to just have it welded.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I think I am going to try this. I found cheaper lock nuts on ebay that have O-Ring grooves. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-LOCKNUT-...-/290700319741

So if you use this on the outside of a keggle, use pipe tape to seal the threads, and then an oring snug in that groove, you should be able to get a seal. If needed, you could even tap the area where this attaches to the keg flat to ensure a seal. But I think by tightening a lock nut on the inside of the keggle should create enough pressure.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Merlmabase
Recipes 

Check out the sticky in the DIY forum on soldering stainless steel. Folks are getting beautiful results drilling, dimpling and soldering in their fittings. Someone was able to do it with a TC ferrule. The thread is now 100+ pages long, and I wasn't able to find that post specifically in 5 minutes of searching, but it's worth reading through anyway.

If you're fairly handy, but just aren't equipped/skilled to TIG in your fittings, it's really worth a look.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlmabase View Post
Check out the sticky in the DIY forum on soldering stainless steel. Folks are getting beautiful results drilling, dimpling and soldering in their fittings. Someone was able to do it with a TC ferrule. The thread is now 100+ pages long, and I wasn't able to find that post specifically in 5 minutes of searching, but it's worth reading through anyway.

If you're fairly handy, but just aren't equipped/skilled to TIG in your fittings, it's really worth a look.
Yeah after doing some more research I am going this method. Cost/risk adds up too fast with weldless options.

Quick Reply