The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Making hole for element question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
lukez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making hole for element question

So kal's website says to use a 1 1/4" punch for the element. I tested this hole on a scrap peice of metal and the hole seems alittle large? Looks like the seal covers the hole but still sloppier then I would have imagined. Maybe a 1/8" gap between hole and threads.
Is this normal or is my element threads different than the ripp element kal uses?

I'm using this element:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UQbry_JCzwQ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
castermmt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez View Post
So kal's website says to use a 1 1/4" punch for the element. I tested this hole on a scrap peice of metal and the hole seems alittle large? Looks like the seal covers the hole but still sloppier then I would have imagined. Maybe a 1/8" gap between hole and threads.
Is this normal or is my element threads different than the ripp element kal uses?

I'm using this element:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UQbry_JCzwQ
What did you use to cut the hole? There are different type punches, if its a conduit punch then it's may be the wrong punch. Should be be 1-1/4" hole, did you measure it? GreenLee 1-1/4" chassis/radio punch not a Conduit punch.

Fuzzy Logic Brewery, Check it out here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/fuz...rewery-288498/

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
lukez
Recipes 

You're right, the hole measures 11/16" not 1 1/4".
Thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

11/16"? I assume thats a typo since it would be smaller than the element threads. Maybe 1-11/16"? I would be careful mounting an element in a hole that is too big. If the element gets torqued when the seal BARELY seals the outside of that hole, you could get a leak in a very invonvenient place. I have seen one setup where this happened, and the guy took a 1-1/4"-1" bushing (make sure that the element will screw into the bushing deep enough to seal at its seal), and used a silicone gasket and a 1-1/4" NPS nut to make a sort of bulkhead in the keggle, and the element screws into it with its original seal. Overcomplicated, yes, but he had no means of welding/soldering and it works like a charm.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
lukez
Recipes 

ya I meant 1 11/16". I can't for the life of me find anyone with a radio punch, everyone has conduit punches and I'm not buying one just to make 1 hole.
I'm almost tempted to cut it out with my dremel or make a smaller hole and use the dremel to grind it down the rest of the way.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you would be much better off getting a step bit or a hole saw than using a dremel. Would be hard to make a uniformally round hole with a dremel. You can get a step bit at harbor freight for under $20 and while its not a great bit its certainly good for 1 hole.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez View Post
ya I meant 1 11/16". I can't for the life of me find anyone with a radio punch, everyone has conduit punches and I'm not buying one just to make 1 hole.
I'm almost tempted to cut it out with my dremel or make a smaller hole and use the dremel to grind it down the rest of the way.
I'm running into the same problem. There are conduit punches everywhere. I need to make a bunch of holes though, so i'm going to end up eating the cost and buying some.

You can use a step bit. They're not cheap either, but it's better than purchasing a greenlee punch for one hole.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OMJ beat me to it. :-)

Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1" conduit punch makes the correct size hole (1.25")
I used the cheap harbor freight set. These punches work great on AL or plastic, but their lifespan is limited on SS.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1" conduit punch makes a 1-11/32" hole. Close but still bigger than 1.25".

Quick Reply