Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Low Lead Warning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
If that's the degree of complexity you're willing to grant the issue, you should check out clean-up jobs at Fukushima. The pay is amazing and the side-effects are apparently inevitable anyway!
wow, apparently you read those 3 words as "living IS THE ONLY THING THAT causes EVERY TYPE OF cancer"

if that's the degree of complexity you're reading into a joke, you should lighten up, Francis

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps101 View Post
So here's one for ya...

The other day I went to purchase a LWD element from Grainger, link below.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Electric-Replacement-Water-Heater-Element-2E754?Pid=search

As I was checking out, I received a warning that this element is not approved for "potable" water in the state of CA because of "low lead warning". I am not one to head every warning that comes along, especially the state of CA. However, lead is not something I want to deal with. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, no where on the site does it mention this warning, only when you go to check out. Furthermore, I suspect it may only be a warning if you are sending to CA, as I would have been doing.

better question is 'where is the lead'... is it in the electrical part that isn't in the water? or in the element part that provides the heat? They issue that warning just by looking at it and going 'there is lead in the soder, therefore lead in the product'.....

It is hard to imagine that there is any lead in the portion exposed to the water given that over 20 years ago they took the lead out of plumbin soder.

>shrugg<

Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

No worries!

Garden hoses impart WAY more lead! If you care about lead, heed those warnings.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
wow, apparently you read those 3 words as "living IS THE ONLY THING THAT causes EVERY TYPE OF cancer"

if that's the degree of complexity you're reading into a joke, you should lighten up, Francis
My favorite thing in the universe is when people who (apparently) can't take a joke accuse other people of not being able to take a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
better question is 'where is the lead'... is it in the electrical part that isn't in the water? or in the element part that provides the heat? They issue that warning just by looking at it and going 'there is lead in the soder, therefore lead in the product'.....

It is hard to imagine that there is any lead in the portion exposed to the
given that over 20 years ago they took the lead out of plumbin soder.

>shrugg<
That seems like the most likely explanation here, though I have heard of lead used in the elements themselves, too.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
My favorite thing in the universe is when people who (apparently) can't take a joke accuse other people of not being able to take a joke.
didn't read your post as a joke as it isn't funny. but now that you explained it, it still isn't funny. but if it cracked you up, it still isn't funny.

mine, however, was the ultimate in hilarity

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

MalFet Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
alien
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The rest of the USA is following California on this, and will adopt California's policies on lead in plumbing fittings entirely after January 2014.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
ILoveBeer2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

California requires disclaimers on everything. Publicly accessible buildings have to post warnings that something in the building could cause cancer. Some regulated items are not allowed in the state because the manufacturer did not submit for testing each color version of the product.

The regulations can be a bit crazy to deal with.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I don't think I get enough lead in my diet. I take a supplement. It's a 1/4 pound pill twice a day.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #19
alien
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The World Health Organisation has categorically concluded that heavy metal is bad for your ears.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table
People Like This 

Quick Reply