Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Looking for help in designing a low profile 12v power supply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
brewhacker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Since you've already picked up the 1 A transformer, and if it fits I'd say there is no harm in being oversized.
Regarding the 0.45A draw, are you saying that your box is actually pulling 0.45 A of current ? What are you driving?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
ahave
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhacker
Since you've already picked up the 1 A transformer, and if it fits I'd say there is no harm in being oversized.
Regarding the 0.45A draw, are you saying that your box is actually pulling 0.45 A of current ? What are you driving?
I think I measured .41 or .43 amps. The circuit was my pwm circuit powering a 12v computer fan. I set it to 100% and held the fan still with my hand to simulate a worst case condition.

Normally I would not run the fan a full speed for a stir plate (i would assume) and the fan would always be allowed to rotate unless the stir bar was massive or something. Under operating conditions I think I was drawing .3 amps at full speed.

If you think I could get by with a .45 amp transformer then I might take back the 1amp.... It is just so big and heavy.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
brewhacker
Recipes 

With you're worst case measurement, it should be fine for you to drop the size. You would be limited though if you ever wanted to add pilot lights or some other addon.
I think you've done well to oversize it.
Good luck!

Quick Reply