The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Location for pickup/valve & element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
ceejengine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Location for pickup/valve & element

I have a Bayou 62qt (with steamer insert) that I'm getting ready to install a pickup/valve combination from Bargain Fittings, and wanted to make sure I left my options open for converting to an electric setup in the future. What kind of room do I need to leave for an element? And will I still have room for a sight glass/therm combo?

Thanks for all your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Where ever you plan on installing your element put your ballvalve and dip tube at 90 degrees to the right or left, depending on where you want them. This way your ball valve pick up dip tube won't get in the way of your element (like if you install it 180 from the element.)

your site glass/ thermo can be anywhere except 180 from where you install your element (element might interfere with accurate temp reading).

see post 335 for how I did it on my hlt:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ele...0/index34.html
My ball valve is 45 degrees to the right of my element when looking down at the pot. This pic doesn't have the ball valve install shown. I am considering putting in a sight glass for the HLT just above the ball valve, but not sure if I will do it yet.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejengine View Post
I have a Bayou 62qt (with steamer insert) that I'm getting ready to install a pickup/valve combination from Bargain Fittings, and wanted to make sure I left my options open for converting to an electric setup in the future. What kind of room do I need to leave for an element? And will I still have room for a sight glass/therm combo?

Thanks for all your help!
I have the same exact 62 qt. pot and this is my "mini" pickup tube.

Sorry, I don't have a pic handy with the element installed. I used a tee so I can install an anode in the long end as described here to help prevent element rusting: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/fo...=283775#283775

Even with the anode installed, I have plenty of room for the element.

BTW...the steamer insert is just AWESOME!!! It sits on the lip near the top of the pot and leaves plenty of room for teh element, pickup tube, thermo and anode.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Quick Reply