Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Little brown pump stopped. :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
sablesurfer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default Little brown pump stopped. :(

I have been testing my brand new first electric board. Part of my build is the little brown pump some people are using. Reviews indicated that it was perfect for me. For three days of testing its been great.

Last night I was testing and pump quit. Not sure if I killed it. Here is pic of the phone plug I used for power and the pump lable.

20130918_182408-picsay.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
ryan_george
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is the power supply dead or the pump itself?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
sablesurfer

Recipes 

Honestly no idea.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 178

your power supply is only rated at 5V, while the pump calls for 12V. It is also almost half the wattage required. May be causing some issues but I doubt the death of the pump. The power supply on the other hand may be a possibility. Do you have a multimeter? Check the votage coming off that power supply and let us know. Good luck

Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
ryan_george
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablesurfer View Post
Honestly no idea.
Get a multimeter and see if there is proper voltage coming from the power supply. This will at least give you some idea

Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
ryan_george
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
your power supply is only rated at 5v, while the pump calls for 12v. It is also almost half the wattage required. May be causing some issues but i doubt the death of the pump. The power supply on the other hand may be a possibility. Do you have a multimeter? Check the votage coming off that power supply and let us know. Good luck

+1

Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
your power supply is only rated at 5V, while the pump calls for 12V. It is also almost half the wattage required. May be causing some issues but I doubt the death of the pump. The power supply on the other hand may be a possibility. Do you have a multimeter? Check the votage coming off that power supply and let us know. Good luck

Does anyone know if the DC motors on the tan pumps are blushless or steppers? I don't know much about the electrical design of DC motors (or even AC motors). But with an AC motor if you drop the voltage the motor actually pulls more current and heats up - and this can kill a motor.
Edit: Looking into a bit more there may be controls in the tan pumps so that any voltage (up to 12V) can be used - But I would expect that if the pump still runs at the same speed that a lower voltage would result in higher current which would smoke your adapter.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
sablesurfer

Recipes 

Hmm. Ok so I need to test the adapter to see if power coming out. All I have at home is a circuit tester...one of those little light thingies. That should work to see if the adapter is working.

But, looks like I really need to find a better adapter. (Too bad I did the whole off to best buy recycling purge a few months back...sigh.) The tan pump thread didn't readily produce info on kinds of adapters, but then I started to get too depressed at all the 'buy a chugger and never look back' posts.

I love this small footprint, I love it's simplicity, and it recirc'd my test water perfectly when I didn't have it hooked up to board. (Too bad they are a 2-3 week shipment since going through Chinese customs.)

Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:

Running a motor at way less than the rated voltage can burn it out quick if it stalls under load. My guess is it was struggling to pump the load (5V will give less than 1/4 the rated power), stalled, and overheated.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
sablesurfer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
Running a motor at way less than the rated voltage can burn it out quick if it stalls under load. My guess is it was struggling to pump the load (5V will give less than 1/4 the rated power), stalled, and overheated.
I thought DC motors could run at different voltages, that is how you control speed on them right? If the voltage lowers then it pulls higher amps. (This I don't understand, just repeating what I have read.) So I am hoping maybe the pump tried to pull too many apps and killed the adapter.

Quick Reply