Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > List of PJ Electrical Diagrams

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #221
Just-a-sip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok so i have read this thread a few times and several others. i fully understand all that is working in this thread but had a twist the only a few i have come across have wanted to try. with this in mind the diagrams and build threads are limited to almost non existent so i was hoping P-J or some other members could help.

basically i am doing BIAB i was about to go electric with PID control as well as timer on my panel using one of diagrams i found here. shown below

however after thinking about it long and hard i wanted to incorporate a few other features and needed help with the diagram as well as components.

in addition to the electric control i wanted the ability to run propane also controlled by PID (hopefully the same) and then using a selector switch to chose weather im running electric for indoor winter operations, or gas to switch to propane run for summer operations or when i take the rig to a local brew day with my club.

also if that wasn't enough i wanted to be able to bypass the PID when in electric mode to manually control the boil with a potentiometer knob. I know the pid has manual control, nut just like a few others i like the idea of manual dial to tweak the boil.

so bottom line is a biab system run with the option of electric or propane and Dial boil control in electric.

im hoping someone can shed some light on the wiring diagram here.

thanks

biab-single-keggle.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #222
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi314 View Post
Hi PJ-

Tried to instant message you - went through the diagrams here - and I'm stumped.
I have certainly bitten off more than I can chew - so looking for some of that help - hope you are doing well!

I'm setting up a BCS-462 and it seems like a spider web of connections to coordinate:
7 zones I'd like to 3-way switch (auto/manual) -
1) 3 Vessel - Propane (120V ball valves)
2) Glowfly Circuit
3) 2 pump circuits
4) Instant Hot water (120V ball valve)

Inside I have:
7 SSR, 2 DIN 120V plugs (wifi,bcs), 12V power block, one 20A circuit breaker, an inline e-stop and one power indicator LED (110V) for box power also Driving 3 7-segment LED's, on 12 V.

The switches have 12V LED in them, so Im confused about wiring both manual and auto from BCS (5V) with a 12V LED switch to drive one SSR - is this even logical?

Do you have a system diagram similar to this? Thank you sincerely in advance.
I just did a lookup on the BCS-462 as I'm not familiar with it. It is a lot more complex than the BCS-460. I've not drawn a diagram for it and it would take a huge effort on my part to make one at this point. (More hours of research and diagramming than I care to invest at this old man's point in life.)

So sorry, I'll have to pass on your request. Wishing you the best.

P-J

Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #223
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthispace View Post
I just finished wiring my control panel using the wiring diagram below. One thing I just noticed (and changed in my panel) is that the contractors isn't protected by a fuse in this diagram. It appears that the other diagrams have the fuse, so perhaps this was just forgotten?
Sorry. The drawing was made over 2 years ago. Yes, do add a fuse for the contactor pick circuit or just wire it to the pump power feed (10A fused circuit.)

P-J

Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #224
celtic_dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I was looking over your plans and was wondering if it would be possible to do a 30a 2 5500 2 pump 2 pid. Thanks

Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #225
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_dude View Post
So I was looking over your plans and was wondering if it would be possible to do a 30a 2 5500 2 pump 2 pid. Thanks
I'm having a problem understanding your plan for your brewery controller.

Using a 30A - 240V feed you can only power a single 5500W element at one time. With that said, a second PID just spends money on something that cannot be used independently.

I have made several diagrams using a single PID. Please explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish and I will make a diagram for you.

P-J

Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #226
celtic_dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey P-J

I was thinking that I would need 2 pids since there were 2 elements. I guess after thinking about it I would only need one. Saves money. But is there something I can add to display temps for the mlt? I am hoping to add a Herms as well and might need to monitor that as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #227
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_dude View Post
Hey P-J

I was thinking that I would need 2 pids since there were 2 elements. I guess after thinking about it I would only need one. Saves money. But is there something I can add to display temps for the mlt? I am hoping to add a Herms as well and might need to monitor that as well.
With a 240V 30A feed you are really limited in what you can do. It sounds like you want to set up a 3 vessel system - HLT, MLT & BOIL. With that it can be done with a single PID and temp probe. The temp probe would be placed in the HLT. The temp in the MLT would be maintained through the use of a heat exchanger placed in the HLT. The mash temp is maintained by recirculating the mash through the heat exchanger. When it comes time to do the boil the PID is set to manual mode and power for it is regulated with this method (no need for another temp probe).

Here is a diagram that you might find helpful - And as always, click on the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17"):

I hope this helps you.

P-J
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #228
celtic_dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow! Thanks P-J! That really helps to get me on the right track. Thank you!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #229
Just-a-sip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hey pj so Im not getting much luck getting this diagram from any other members so I was hoping you could help me out with my post above. I would much appreciate it .

Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #230
Just-a-sip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hey pj so Im not getting much luck getting this diagram from any other members so I was hoping you could help me out with my post above. I would much appreciate it .

Quick Reply