Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > LiquidFlame's eHERMS Build -need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your steps seem to be missing a few diagrams.

Step 1.5: Heat strike water. How are you heating up to strike temp? I only see one temp probe.
Step 2.5: Mash. How are you maintaining mash temp? I only see one temp probe.
Step 4.5: Boil

As well, step 6 is called "Once Temperature is Reached Add to Fementor". How do you know when you reach temp? You only have 1 temp probe and it's not the flow.

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Your steps seem to be missing a few diagrams.

Step 1.5: Heat strike water. How are you heating up to strike temp? I only see one temp probe.
Step 2.5: Mash. How are you maintaining mash temp? I only see one temp probe.
Step 4.5: Boil

As well, step 6 is called "Once Temperature is Reached Add to Fementor". How do you know when you reach temp? You only have 1 temp probe and it's not the flow.

Kal
Sorry I should have made my diagrams better, once I get some time I'll upgrade them again.

Step 1.5: I will have one heating element in the HLT and BK. I will also have one temp probe in the HLT, one temp probe on the HERMs liquid out, and one temp probe in th BK.

Step 2.5: I will be maintaining mash temp from the HERMs liquid out temp probe.

Step 4.5: I will have a heating element in the HLT and BK.

Step 6: I will know when I have reach temp by the BK temp probe.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #33
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In that case what is the temp probe at the output of the HLT HERMS coil for?

I used to have my MLT temp probe there but found that it always followed the HLT water temp from the temp probe on the output of my HLT exactly. It was redundant. Something to keep in mind as yours might behave the same way if your HERMS coil is big/efficient enough. The temp of the wort coming out of the HERMS coil in my case was always equal to the HLT water temp.

So I moved my MLT temp probe to the output of the MLT so that I could monitor how fast my MLT rose in temperare compared to the HLT when I did step mashes and mash-out. (This is the way I describe my build on my site today - I never actually had it documented with the MLT temp probe on the output of the HERMS coil as I made the change before I started documenting).

Kal

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #34
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
In that case what is the temp probe at the output of the HLT HERMS coil for?

I used to have my MLT temp probe there but found that it always followed the HLT water temp from the temp probe on the output of my HLT exactly. It was redundant. Something to keep in mind as yours might behave the same way if your HERMS coil is big/efficient enough. The temp of the wort coming out of the HERMS coil in my case was always equal to the HLT water temp.

So I moved my MLT temp probe to the output of the MLT so that I could monitor how fast my MLT rose in temperare compared to the HLT when I did step mashes and mash-out. (This is the way I describe my build on my site today - I never actually had it documented with the MLT temp probe on the output of the HERMS coil as I made the change before I started documenting).

Kal
The temp probe at the output of the HLT HERMs coil was to measure the MLT temp. So your saying I should move that to my output on my MLT.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm saying that with my setup a temp probe there always measured the same as my HLT probe at the HLT output so it was redundant. You may want to try it there but then consider moving it to the MLT output if the same happens to you. Depends on how efficient your HERMS coil is at transferring heat.

Measuring how fast the entire mash bed (the MLT output temp) is raising in temperature is IMHO more important than measuring the output of the bit of wort coming out of the HERMS coil. That doesn't tell you what your mash is doing.

Kal

Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #36
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
I'm saying that with my setup a temp probe there always measured the same as my HLT probe at the HLT output so it was redundant. You may want to try it there but then consider moving it to the MLT output if the same happens to you. Depends on how efficient your HERMS coil is at transferring heat.

Measuring how fast the entire mash bed (the MLT output temp) is raising in temperature is IMHO more important than measuring the output of the bit of wort coming out of the HERMS coil. That doesn't tell you what your mash is doing.

Kal
I'll make sure to test it both ways.

You'll also probably be seeing a big order from me soon. :-)

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
I'll make sure to test it both ways.
Yup, make sense. I did the both ways too because I first wanted to confirm that my HERMS coil was transferring heat efficiently. I did 4-5 batches and on all of them my two PIDs (HLT and MLT) always displayed the exact same temperature (this is with both probes calibrated correctly of course).

So I moved it the MLT probe to the MLT output. Now I see how a larger mash (like a barley wine) takes twice as long to go to mash out as a light lager that uses 1/3 the grain.

Good luck with the build!

Kal

Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #38
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

I finally got my electrical issue solved. I had an electrician install a 100A sub panel with a 50A breaker that feeds my new 240v line that is attached to a 50A 4-prong receptacle. I made a separate thread about it, so if your interested in looking at it, here's the link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/the...l-like-360443/

Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Trying to decide on a HERMs coil. All my kettles are going to be made out of kegs, and I can't decide on the diameter and length. Kal's notes say to have the coil be 50' of 1/2" OD at 11.25" in diameter and 9" high. I would like to get my HERMs coil from Stainless Brewing, but the diameter they offer for 50' 1/2" OD is 10" or 12". Should I just go with the 12"?

Quick Reply