Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > LiquidFlame's eHERMS Build -need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #21
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No, I just took a front shot of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
grandequeso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice. I'm jealous of ya'll and and your cold tap water temps. As to the fellow asking about the direction of the herms coil. Losing wort isn't an issue if you pump your sparge water thru it as you are sparging. Its an incredibly easy way to clean as you brew.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Ok, I've done a lot of research and reading of other builds, and I think for my control panel I'm going to clone kal's. After looking at a bunch of different control panels, I just like his layout and functionality the best. I do plan on making a 50A version so I can do back to back brewing.

Now I haven't spoken with my electrician yet, but what I was planning on doing was making room in the main breaker panel by installing tandem breakers. Then installing a 50A double pole breaker and wiring that to a 60A GFI spa panel. Then having my main power cable coming from my spa panel to my control panel.

What do you guys think? Want to make sure I get my ideas correct before I start talking to an electrician.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I know I got pretty confused figuring out how all of those valves would need to be turned on and off at each step from your sketches. I would seriously look into the three way valves so you minimize the risk of pushing wort/water where you dont want it accidentally. I dont have everything hard plumbed so I am constantly swapping connections during my brew and I still usually manage to somehow leave the MLT out valve open after the mash in, which drains wort back into the HLT. I'd be in all kinds of trouble with your setup. Maybe you are more careful than me though.

As far as the control panel, sounds good. Kal's build is awesome if you got the cash to do it.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #25
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Looks like I have an issue with my main circuit panel. I finally was able to find the model number and did some research. Inside it said it was a "QQ Load Center Cat No. Q030M150 Series G1 Box Cat No. Q0B30M150 Main Lugs Only".

I did a search for QQ Load Center which brought me to http://www.schneider-electric.com/si.../index.cfm/us/. I then did a search on their site for Q030M150 which didn't return any results, but they asked if I meant " qo130m150", so I clicked on the PDF and found that it says that the Max Number of Tandem Circuit Breakers 0!!!

Did I do my research right? Should I really not use any Tandem Breakers?

Looks like I really need to talk to an electrician.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I know I got pretty confused figuring out how all of those valves would need to be turned on and off at each step from your sketches. I would seriously look into the three way valves so you minimize the risk of pushing wort/water where you dont want it accidentally. I dont have everything hard plumbed so I am constantly swapping connections during my brew and I still usually manage to somehow leave the MLT out valve open after the mash in, which drains wort back into the HLT. I'd be in all kinds of trouble with your setup. Maybe you are more careful than me though.

As far as the control panel, sounds good. Kal's build is awesome if you got the cash to do it.
As for the three way valves, I'm actually more afraid to use those, becuase I feel like I'd be more likely to have those in the wrong position. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
grandequeso
Recipes 

You have a 30/40 panel that means. 20 full size spaces or 40 if you use twin or tandem breakers. You already have 4 twin breakers in your box at this time. The breakers and the box are modified so that you can only fit the twin breakers onto the bottom 5 spots of your panel. If you look on the inside of the door of you panel cover there should be a diagram of this.

edit. its 30 full size and the capability of having 40 if using twins.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

I'll take a picture of the diagram on my lunch, but when I looked at it, it looked like I couldn't use tandem breakers.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Here's a picture of the wiring diagram inside the main breaker panel.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
grandequeso
Recipes 

From the looks of that diagram you may be right, you may only have a 30 space panel. The tandem or twin breakers that are already installed in your box may have been modified to fit into the spaces that they are in. You have a few choices if your panel won't take more tandem breakers. 1. add a sub panel, 2 cheat the breakers the way someone already has done, in order to add more tandem breakers (not recomended, but hey its already being done that way... ) 3. change your whole panel to a full 42 space or a 30/40 space . (if the enclousure is the same dimensions you could possibly just do a panel gut change to fit a 30/40 buss. The 42 space panel will be a good 6 to 8" taller than the one you have. If you went that route you'd have to change the whole box.

Quick Reply