HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > LiquidFlame's eHERMS Build -need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #11
LiquidFlame
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Ok, so I've revised my diagrams and I think I've gotten it pretty nailed down. I've gotten rid of the "S" valve and one SS tee, and I've setup the pump with the plate chiller correctly. Let me know what you guys think, I'd really appreciate your input so I can start making a build list soon.

Step 1: Filling With Water

Step 2: Mash In

Step 3: Mash Out

Step 4: Continuous Sparge

Step 5: Cooling

Step 6: Once Temperature is Reached Add to Fementor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

I'm on to the next steps of getting a 240v outlet installed in my garage. I went and looked at my main breaker panel and saw that everything was being used. I have heard of people using "Tandem Breakers" to make room for a new breaker, but I'm a little concerned about this because I also noticed that the main breaker says it's 150A and I’m wondering if I’m going to have enough juice.

I'm a little surprised by this because this house is pretty loaded with electrical equipment and we haven’t has any issue of things tripping. We just bought it last year and the pervious owner fished the basement with a full bar, theater system, two TV’s, kegerator, beverage center, a decent amount of celling lights and a bathroom, and that's just the downstairs.
So I guess my question is what do you guys think, is 150 going to be enough or am I going to have to look at upgrading to 200. Whatever happens, I’m going to be getting an electrician because I feel like I’m way out of my league here.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
grandequeso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You have a 30/40 panel. 30 full size or 40 when you use twin breakers. the bottom 5 spaces on both sides of the panel will accept the twin breakers. you actually have a few in already. your electrician should be able to move a few things around to get you those extra two spaces for your control panel. I highly doubt you need a service upgrade. put an amp meter onto the mains coming into your box. I would be surprised if it ever was higher than 70A with everything you might ever use going at once.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Thanks for the reply, gives me some hope. Time to do some more research and figure out what I want my control panel to have.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Josh1275
Recipes 

I was in a similar situation with a completely full breaker box. I went with a sub panel, and I feel it was the best choice I've made on my build to date. When the time comes to put in an extra keezer or chiller or whatever I don't have to have my breaker box reconfigured...again... just drop them right in the "made for beer" sub panel. no corners cut, and room to grow.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Good point. Just found out that my friend's step dad is a certified electrician, so I'll be having some conversations with him soon hopefully.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Fritztheelephant
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I could be wrong but I think you may want to reverse the flow through your coil. It appears that you are pumping up from the bottom through the coil. This is going to leave your coil full of wort when you shut the pump off. I have one set up to flow down through the coil.

Unless I'm missing something?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
grandequeso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know what your budget looks like, or if you have a plate chiller already, myself and a couple guys I know use our herms coil as our chiller. I have acess to all the free ice I could ever want at work. About two coolers full is all it takes for me to chill 12 gallons at full throttle. My ground water is way too warm 10 mo out of the year for a cfc.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritztheelephant View Post
I could be wrong but I think you may want to reverse the flow through your coil. It appears that you are pumping up from the bottom through the coil. This is going to leave your coil full of wort when you shut the pump off. I have one set up to flow down through the coil.

Unless I'm missing something?
I could be wrong about this, but all the rigs I've seen seem to have the wort flowing from the bottom of the HERMs coil to the top. Can someone verify? As to the coil being full of wort, I would imagine as long as I shut the "M" valve and leave the pump on for a couple of seconds, it would pump out all the wort. Again can someone verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandequeso View Post
I don't know what your budget looks like, or if you have a plate chiller already, myself and a couple guys I know use our herms coil as our chiller. I have acess to all the free ice I could ever want at work. About two coolers full is all it takes for me to chill 12 gallons at full throttle. My ground water is way too warm 10 mo out of the year for a cfc.
Plan on using a plate chiller. Bought a Blichmann Therminator from a guy retiring from brewing for $130

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is that missing the other set of in & out?

Quick Reply