Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > LG 3-MD-HC pump questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
ernestmyname
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default LG 3-MD-HC pump questions

I realize this topic has been exhausted but I have spent hours over the last several weeks searching this forum and other sources and have found nothing more than conflicting information with a majority of it being second or third hand assumptions.

What needs to be done to a LG pump before it is used for homebrew? Some say it is safe out the box. Some say the grease needs to be replaced. Some say the shaft needs to be replaced. Some say it needs to be replaced with a March pump. LOL

I'm also wondering how many of you guys are successfully recirculating the water in the BK during the boil with the LG pumps.

Please don't make this thread a March Pump VS LG thread. I have read them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've heard a lot of good things about this pump. Just clean it and run with it. What's the worry?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
ernestmyname
Recipes 

Well, I read a couple places that the grease was not food grade and not safe to eat/drink. One website mentions that the shaft is made of some material unsafe for eating and drinking. But several threads say "it is fine. Go with it."

But all of these sources cite nothing. They just make claims. So I was just wondering what the norm is. Have I missed something, or is the norm to just use the pump as it sits stock?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Alright. I thought these were only available in stainless.

The grease will be in the motor. There is no grease in the pump. The impeller is coupled to the drive shaft with a magnet. The pump is sealed off from the motor.

The website states the plastic pump is only rated to 200 degrees but it is made out of ryton. March pumps are the same material but are rated to 250. This makes me think it would probably be fine at boiling temps. The LG pump may be lower because hot liquid may heat the motor and not necessarily degrade the plastic. If that's the case, good airflow around the pump would prevent this. Logical arguments aside, if it were my pump, I would always have that 200 degree rating in the back of my head.

I think the draw with these is the stainless pump head. This would nullify any heat concerns in the pump head.

My question is why not just go with a March pump? They have basically become the hobby's standard and are easy to get. It may or may not be the absolute best solution but it works. Is there a big price difference?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The te3 md hc have sealed bearing so you never have to oil them unlike march or chugger pumps. I got mine used here on hbt and has worked flawless. It should be ready to use out of the box, it has a carbon bushing and can run dry unlike march or chugger.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm using two LG 9-MD-MT-HC pumps with no problems running boiling wort through them. I pump out of the boil kettle, through the pump, through a CFC (not cooling) and back to the kettle to sanitize the system. The return to the kettle gets to 206º so I know that the pump can handle at least that high a temperature.

I disassembled the first pump to check the cleanliness and found no oils on the impeller shaft, so I don't think that there is a problem. The ceramic shaft and thrust washers don't present any problem, and neither does the carbon bushing in the impeller.

Both of my pumps have motors with carbon bushing bearings, so they do require lubrication periodically.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
kevink
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just bought a brand new LG 3-MD-HC and there is grease in the pump head. The impeller spins on a stationary shaft and that is where the grease is- between the shaft and the impeller. I don't want that grease in my hoses and wort whether it's food safe or not, so I think I'm going to remove it. I'm hoping that the liquid will be enough of a lubricant. Even if I was not to remove the grease, I doubt it would stick around very long after pumping boiling wort and hot PBW solution through it.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
I just bought a brand new LG 3-MD-HC and there is grease in the pump head. The impeller spins on a stationary shaft and that is where the grease is- between the shaft and the impeller. I don't want that grease in my hoses and wort whether it's food safe or not, so I think I'm going to remove it. I'm hoping that the liquid will be enough of a lubricant. Even if I was not to remove the grease, I doubt it would stick around very long after pumping boiling wort and hot PBW solution through it.
Hell brotha throw it in boil some water and try it...worst case you have boiling water running out of the motor from the shaft input you get electrocuted and die... best case there's no issue

disclaimer been partaking the home brew this afternoon given the looks form the wify maybe just a touch to much..it's all good

PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh@t by the clean end."

Beer
It is the drink of men who think
And feel no fear nor fetter
Who do not drink to senseless sink
But drink to think the better
Anonymous

Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

FYI: On the Chemical Resistance PDF they list "Tomato Juice" and "Whisky/Wine" for the LG 3 -MD - HC pump. All are rated excellent except for aluminum head

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
kevink
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdogs View Post
Hell brotha throw it in boil some water and try it...worst case you have boiling water running out of the motor from the shaft input you get electrocuted and die... best case there's no issue

disclaimer been partaking the home brew this afternoon given the looks form the wify maybe just a touch to much..it's all good

No, no, the shaft I'm talking about is not the motor shaft, it is a stationary ceramic shaft inside the pump head which is a completely separated from the motor shaft and electrical components. The impeller, which is driven by magnets, spins around it. Go have some more home brew

Quick Reply