Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Kal Clone not powering on

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
wuttheheeck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 46

Default Kal Clone not powering on

Hi all. Building a panel similar to Kals. No timer, meters or shunt.

I have not had any success when first plugging in the panel. I am using a 50a GFI spa panel running off a 30a dryer plug.

I know contactor coils are activated with current, but does it matter which side receives the hot / neutral?

I will re-check all my connections tomorrow, maybe strip the wires a little more where they are in screw conections.

Itching to see the LED and PIDs light up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 82

First, make sure all of your connections are solid. It can be a pain in the ass, but do this first.

Second, use your mulit-meter to trace the power from the inlet to the next component (distribution blocks>?) then breakers, then SSR's and contactors, switches, etc.

If the components are still not powering up and you're sure your schematic is correct, compare the actual wiring with the schematic. Cross through each circuit on the schematic as you check it so you don't lose track of where you are in the process.

A good picture of the inside of your panel would be helpful and a schematic of it would be priceless.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuttheheeck
I know contactor coils are activated with current, but does it matter which side receives the hot / neutral?
Nope, polarity typically is not an issue with contactors (unless you see something that says LOAD on it).

Quick Reply