Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Just finished my Electric Brew Kettle! (Literally...)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Wow your first post didnt give that rig enough justice! Maybe you were just being modest! That is a sweet looking, tricked out boiler!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121
Wow your first post didnt give that rig enough justice! Maybe you were just being modest! That is a sweet looking, tricked out boiler!
Thanks! I didn't want to have to go upgrading again if I wanted to go bigger. Let me tell you. I just brewed a huge RIS tonight as its maiden brew and it performed like a champ! I'm impressed with this element.

My major problems I encountered tonight were:

1: Wrong temperature probe for my PID. So I ran it in manual.

2: I realized I was missing some fittings (I thought I had them!) for my Therminator. So I ended up using my old immersion chiller. Didn't work so well.

3: My hop filter I got from brewershardware.com kept clogging! I invented quite a few new curse words. So, after the fourth time taking it apart to clean it, I set it aside and simply pumped through a SS strainer. I think the issue is that the perf is too coarse and the hop particles are getting stuck IN the perf screen instead of being filtered. (did I make that clear?) so perhaps the solution is to use the finer perf sleeve.

4: I need more hoses and Triclover fittings.

5: I found out my hydrometer was broken (damn cats!) when I went to measure my PreBoil gravity. So what I did was relax and had a homebrew.

This RIS is thick, so I assume the gravity is pretty high. It's supposed to be 1.128 and judging by the viscosity, I'm pretty certain I came close. We'll see.

Check me out on Untappd. Or don't. See if I care.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
tyzippers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121

Oh, and go pens!
How about that game tonight? Do they know how to keep a game close or what? I bet if Geno were playing that game would have been a rout!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #14
theknub
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 61

between the dogs and my propensity to have a brew during brew... i decided hydrometers were bad. moved to a refractometer and loving it. pull out the hydrometer from time to time to verify measurements.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #15
tyzippers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub
between the dogs and my propensity to have a brew during brew... i decided hydrometers were bad. moved to a refractometer and loving it. pull out the hydrometer from time to time to verify measurements.
I REALLY want a refractometer! Maybe this is a sign? Yep. I'm definitely going to replace the hydrometer with a refractometer. Though the hydrometer lasted four years and three apartments! It served me well. May it rest in peace.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #16
theknub
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzippers View Post
I REALLY want a refractometer! Maybe this is a sign? Yep. I'm definitely going to replace the hydrometer with a refractometer. Though the hydrometer lasted four years and three apartments! It served me well. May it rest in peace.
here's what i have, while brix only, it is solid http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-...=refractometer

otherwise, dual scale...
http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Wort-Wine...=refractometer

Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Inkleg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Sorry about the brew day problems, but glad the element worked for you and you now have beer in the fermenter.

Is this the filter you speak of http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html as I was thinking of getting one also. Do you think one of the finer filter sleeves would help?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
tyzippers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkleg View Post
Sorry about the brew day problems, but glad the element worked for you and you now have beer in the fermenter.

Is this the filter you speak of http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html as I was thinking of getting one also. Do you think one of the finer filter sleeves would help?
Yep. That's the one. I've used it a few times and had a pretty good go at it. I've been thinking about this problem over night and I am thinking that the finer mesh sleeve may be the answer, but my certainty is only around 60% or so. It seems to make sense in my head, but I guess I'll find out in practice.

The RIS I brewed last night had close to 24lbs of grain in the bill and 6 oz of pellet hops. This is the most pellet hops I've ever thrown at the filter at once. I'm also thinking that I may need to devise some sort of prefilter for the pick-up tube. Which gives me another thought. Since my pickup tube sucks from about an 1/8" from the bottom of the kettle, it was sucking up almost all hop material at first with very little wort to thin it out. Perhaps that was part of the problem and a prefilter may be part of the solution for large amounts of hops.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
tyzippers
Recipes 

Just thought I'd update on the first brew on the new kettle.

Despite all the problems during the brew, I still ended up with 5 gallons of wort that blew my blow-off tube out of the carboy and sprayed krausen all over the floor joists in my basement ceiling! I'd say this is a healthy ferment!

I really wish I knew what it started at tho...

Quick Reply