New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Just another electric brewery build thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just another electric brewery build thread.

I can't handle carrying full carboys up and down from my garage and I'm tired of using propane so it is time to move this hobby to the basement. I also live in Wisconsin so it will be very nice for winter brewing.

I may move in a few years so I didn't want to build something permanent. The goal of this build will be to have everything modular and moveable to a new location only leaving a 50A breaker and outlet behind.

I decided to go with a 50A breaker in the main panel with an outlet right next to the main. My Spa panel will be built on to a wooden frame that will also contain the control boxes. The entire unit will be able to be unplugged when not in use from the main panel. I am still plotting everything out... I will likely call PJ again soon to bounce some ideas off him before I go further.

I will be updating photos in the facebook album. I'll post in this thread when there are updates.

My Electric Brewery Build:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150651836576958.394419.609036957&type=1&l =fea2ecd889

...and although off topic here is a Keezer build i recently completed:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150490803466958.372852.609036957&type=3&l =67e51d56ed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
IrishBrewer74
I like beer!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subscribed. Where abouts in WI? I'm about to start working on my ebuild too, just waiting on panel switches and amp meter.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
sethhobrin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer74 View Post
Subscribed. Where abouts in WI? I'm about to start working on my ebuild too, just waiting on panel switches and amp meter.
Oak Creek,WI(suburb of Milwaukee). Good luck on your build!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
IrishBrewer74
I like beer!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks... Just saw you pic on Facebook. Apparently we both know Becky Jacobs? New Berlin here.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
sethhobrin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer74 View Post
Thanks... Just saw you pic on Facebook. Apparently we both know Becky Jacobs?
She works with me. How do you know her? (maybe take this to PMs)

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great Keezer! Very nice photos of the build!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
sethhobrin
Recipes 

PHOTOS ADDED TO MAIN ALBUM ON POST 1

You guys have all seen these fans a million times but here is mine anyways. I figured a good place to start would be putting in a 50A breaker in my main moving the 120v receptacle closer to the main panel out of my brewing area where it could get splashed, and working on my exhaust system....

So what do you guys think about mounting the exhaust fan in the vertical section of the tubing so that the fan is facing up down instead of horizontal near the outlet? I'm not sure I can get it on the horizontal section of right before the outlet. The other option would be to mount it directly on the hood.

I think I may just get a nice rubbermaid tub of the correct size and hang it from the ceiling. I would cut a 6" hole in the side for the 6" duct.

Also I would like to put on a reducer to 4" right before leaving the house as I would prefer to cut a 4" hole in my exterior wall rather than a 6" hole. Is that an issue?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
zeus53219
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

How would you mount the exhaust fan vertical, how would you secure it in place? I know the rubbermaid tote is quick, easy, and cheap(I was using one in the garage), but I made this for around $7. Excluding the bath surround, I had it left over from another project. Also here is a pic of the exhaust fan mounted right before it leaves the house.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
sethhobrin
Recipes 

I figured i would use wire, chains, etc like you used to mount it. Vertically might be tricky but I am sure I could think of something.

I saw another thread this morning where guy made a nice stainless looking hood but used the silver colored insulation from HD/Lowes. Seems like a good surface to wipe dry and evaporate off.

My original plan was to do exactly what you did. build a box. But the rubbermaid tote or even this insulation idea sounds good enough for my needs and the people that tried them seem to have good results. I have a baby and anything I can do to save time or money is helpful.

Here is what i was thinking with the 2 possible fan mount locations.

I am not good at drawing a backwards bending tube hahah but the hole over the spray foamed rim joists is where the hole would be cut for the exhaust. I just can't get the fan up in the rim joist so it cannot be mounted right at the outlet horizontally. It has to be earlier in the exhaust system.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
zeus53219
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Its hard to see in the pic but I used uni-strut and threaded rod to mount the fan right on the joist. Looks like your best(easiest) bet is to do the same. I have some uni-strut and rod left over if you want it. I see we are in the same neck of the woods.

Quick Reply