Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Intermediate step towards complete 240v E-BIAB brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Intermediate step towards complete 240v E-BIAB brewing

Hi,

I am currently a 5.5 gallon AG mash-in-a-cooler and boil over a turkey fryer kinda guy. I would like to eventually graduate to a sweet automated 240V BIAB set up that includes mash recirculation via a pump along with a PID temperature control. I would like the final version to look like the system that P-J diagrammed here: http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-BIAB-30d6.jpg

But I don't have a way to get safe 240 V at present. I do have a pump. So I thought I would start the process by building a direct-fired BIAB system using the parts I currently have and buying some of the stuff that would eventually be used in a complete 240V E-BIAB system. That way, I could grow the system as needed and continue to use what I already own.

So I contacted P-J via PM and asked him to draw up a diagram for what I wanted. He graciously agreed. I explained my needs to him as follows:
"Essentially, I wish to use standard 120v to power a PID in an enclosure with a power button and a button for the pump. The PID won't actually be controlling anything at this point (no heat sticks), but will have an RTD sensor to read temp. The system should have two buzzer/lights; one indicating over-temp and one indicating under-temp using the PID alarm features. Ideally, there would be an on-off toggle switch to each buzzer to kill unwanted alarms as needed."

Basically, I want to use the PID to monitor the temp of the mash and tell me when to manually add or remove flame. It will also be useful to read wort temp during the chilling phase.

P-J responded with the excellent and useful schematic below.

I think such a system would be helpful for those who want to start the process towards a 240V system but are still stuck with propane and no 240V service. That is why I posted this, but I will also add pictures as I accumulate equipment.

auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-biab-30d6a.jpg  

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply