Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Integrated HERMS coil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
t_met
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Although I don't have a HERMS, I've been thinking about making a HERMS some day soon. I was leaning towards it unmounted. I don't like the idea of committing the kettle to a HLT+HERMS. I think that would paint you into a corner if you ever needed to use that kettle as a second kettle. For instance, this week I decided I wanted to make an IPA & a PA. After the sparge, I almost I had enough for a single 10 gallon batch. I split this preboil so I had enough for 5 gallons of IPA and about 4 gallons PA. I topped off the PA pre-boil so I'd end up with a weaker OG PA. This is similar to a partigyle or SWIG where you'd need that HLT as a 2nd kettle. When done, I had two separate beers with only about an extra hour of time.

The path I'll be taking on the HERMS will not dedicate a kettle as a HLT from a flexibility point of view.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've been using an IC as my HERMs but am now building a 1-1/2" SS HERMs tube using a 120V 1500W ULD element, primarily so I can temp control the element and eliminate the valves I use for the coil (thru coil and bypass).

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_met View Post
The path I'll be taking on the HERMS will not dedicate a kettle as a HLT from a flexibility point of view.
you can always make a stand-alone unit....

this weekend ill be finishing the build on a version #2 of that one, in stainless steel...
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For me it came down to how big my HLT was. I decided to integrate a 20 ft copper coil into my original 8 gallon extract pot. I put enough wattage in there to be able to do a 6 gallon boil and use the pot for small batch or lower gravity single vessel eBIAB brewing when I am not using it as my HERMS vessel. The coil serves as a chiller when I use it for eBIAB brewing. For a HERMS, 20 ft is just fine.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As for the length, I will add my 2 cents.

Kal calls for 50' (1/2 OD ss coil) in a 20 gal blichman. I went with 25' in a 15gal keggle. I didn't like having too much coil where the coils touch each other and there is twice as much liquid working against the target HLT temp. In my setup, there is about 1.25" of space between the coils so the hot water will actually have an easier time of affecting the temp inside the coils...at least that is what I expect...still building.

If that made no sense, let me know.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #16
Pez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I mounted 2 of these in my HLT:

http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Female-NPT.html

They are welded with the threads inside the HLT with compression fittings connecting to the copper coil. My goal was to have the top fitting be the input so the wort can drain out the bottom fitting via gravity instead of having to lift the immersion coil up and hold it upside down.

Quick Reply