Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Instant Hot Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
TravelingBrewer22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Instant Hot Water

Would it be possible to incorporate an electric, tankless water heater into an electric rig? I know it sounds odd, but I rent and do not have access to 240v outlets so I have been trying to think of ways to get water up to temp without the painstaking process of using 1500 or 2000w elements on 120v circuits. I don't even know if its possible, just curiosity from a electric idiot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

An electric tankless water heater works on the same premise as a RIMS. It's not going to heat water very quickly on 120v.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2830 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Yep. An electric tankless heater uses heating elements to heat water too. You'll have the same limitations as using an element in the pot.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
TravelingBrewer22
Recipes 

fair enough. thanks guys.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
vballdrummer
Recipes 

I've looked into this too, Depending on how hot you want the water, it gets pretty expensive for the unit. Home-use units are temp limited to about 140 degrees to prevent scalding (at least her in USA). So to get to near boiling you'd need to purchase a commercial unit like they use in some kitchen wash stations. You're well over $1000 and probably more like $2000 new. The household units might be good for sparge water. Overall it's cheaper to run a hot water line to get pre-heated water from your tank heater and raise to boil from there. Then again my 5500w element bring 15 gal to temp in about the time it takes me to do other necessary things in the brewery.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1112 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Your best bet is to go ahead and add a 1500w element to your HLT on a controller. The reason I say this is that you could prefill it any time and set a timer to power up the element. It will take a long time, but it's not something you'd have to babysit. If you're brewing first thing in the morning, set the timer for 2 hours prior and it's hot when you wake up.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The other issue that I thought of when considering this approach is that any water treatment becomes more difficult, especially for the sparge...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2830 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Your best bet is to go ahead and add a 1500w element to your HLT on a controller. The reason I say this is that you could prefill it any time and set a timer to power up the element. It will take a long time, but it's not something you'd have to babysit. If you're brewing first thing in the morning, set the timer for 2 hours prior and it's hot when you wake up.
This right here!

I had this idea when I first started looking at electric brewing. Sure it takes longer to heat up your water with low wattage, but that doesn't mean you have to be babysitting it, or even awake when the thing turns on. Set it so you roll out of bed and mash in

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I like electric personally but you could use gas and make one of those amazing instant steam/hot water contraptions using a burner, stove pipe and copper coil.

But if you are renting then it probably is an apartment isn't it? Which means no gas... Oh well.

How big are your batches? A 1500w element would definitely suffice for 5 gal batches. It may not be the quickest but it would work.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

What has been covered here is pretty much my understanding of home demand electric units. Every one I've ever seen runs on 240V, because that is by far the most efficient way to do electric heating of anything. We have used gas demand water heaters for years, and any home unit reasonably sized for the amount of water you need will be regulated to a maximum of 140F for safety reasons. In short, unsuitable for your purposes.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply