The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Induction Plate not Boiling quite right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Think it would be even faster with stirring or agitating the water? Does the induction plate create much heat stratification from top to bottom?

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I forgot to mention that I did stir before every temp reading. Yes, there is a lot of temperature stratification. About 10-15 deg differential throughout the kettle. I usually use a pump to recirculate during a brew session for keeping mash temps constant. I didn't in this experiment as I didn't want to lose heat through the pump and just characterize the kettle itself.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
OldBunny
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I just did my second brew with an 1800W Burton (cost around $70). This was a full 5-gallon boil in my 8-gallon brewpot. It went pretty well as long as I kept the lid on the kettle. My previous batch was a 2.5-gallon partial boil in a 5-gallon Bayou Classic. That one reached a boil fairly quickly and held a decent rolling boil without the lid.

I'd looked at the 3500W unit, but couldn't find the funds for a 208V circuit, since my current panel is full.

• Christmas Wit
Primary
  • Empty
Secondary
  • Empty
Bottled
  • Fireside Ale
  • Double IPA
  • Simcoe IPA
  • Wet-hopped Pale Ale
  • Caribou Slobber American Brown Ale
  • Northern Brewer Brunch Stout
  • Bourbon Barrel Porter

Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73
Hm ... question ... has anyone considered or tried running two induction cookers underneath their pots? I know Amazon has a popular 1800 Watt model, and two of those would be 3600 Watts, just run them on two separate 120V circuits. Maybe then you could get away with a larger diameter pot? I wonder if that would mess up the induction cookers having two of them going like that under the same pot?
This is relevant to my interests.

Fu*k 'em if they won't get drunk.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #25
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Hm ... question ... has anyone considered or tried running two induction cookers underneath their pots? I know Amazon has a popular 1800 Watt model, and two of those would be 3600 Watts, just run them on two separate 120V circuits. Maybe then you could get away with a larger diameter pot? I wonder if that would mess up the induction cookers having two of them going like that under the same pot?
I watched a youtube video where a guy was using two inductuion burners on one pot.

Here, I found it:
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm that's interesting, it doesn't even look like pot completely covers both induction cookers. Maybe they don't need 100% overlap of the metal to induce the full current in the pot.

I would think if it were two of the same model induction cooker on the same leg of the 240/120v they would be fine. Wondering though if one were on one leg and the second on the second leg if they would be 180 deg out of phase and somehow maybe cancel each other out or waste their power.

Hm how about double stacking the units? Sit one 1800w on top another 1800w bingo 3600 watts in a single height unit. Just kidding ... but it would be fun to try maybe outside.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
cupido76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question about the 240v induction cookers:

I'm guessing they're wired for 3-wire international... hot, neutral, ground? Are you modifying the plug to insert in a North American receptical? I have a 4-wire dryer plug I could use and I'm comfortable installing a new plug but I don't know if it's possible to convert this unit to a 4-wire plug.

And if I buy one that's wire for NA, (hot-hot-ground), any reason I couldn't make an adapter chord to plug in to my 4-wire dryer plug, and only connect the 3 wires I need to convert to 3-wire 240?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #28
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Suitable pot

This thread was very timely. I'd like to move the starter prep to the basement brewery.

Would you know a source for a 10-16 quart, induction friendly, pot?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
travlinScott
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
This thread was very timely. I'd like to move the starter prep to the basement brewery.

Would you know a source for a 10-16 quart, induction friendly, pot?

Thanks
Take a fridge magnet to walmart/target/big-lots and find a pot that size that you can stick the magnet to. That's what I did. I ultimately found mine at big lots. And the induction plate does work very well for that. Hopefully this info is helpful for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #30
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
And if I buy one that's wire for NA, (hot-hot-ground), any reason I couldn't make an adapter chord to plug in to my 4-wire dryer plug, and only connect the 3 wires I need to convert to 3-wire 240?
That's what I did. Wired up a 3 wire cable to a 4 prong plug and just left the neutral blade unconnected

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Quick Reply