Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Induction Plate not Boiling quite right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have not bought it yet, but I'm getting the 240v 3500w model at the Webstaurant store

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The problem that I see with the mega pot is the dimensions. It's on the order of 18" wide whereas the induction burner's actual heating area is 8.5". I get a good boil in the center at the bottom of the kettle but it dissipates as it rises through the volume of liquid. I'm quite certain that you want to keep the diameter of the kettle as small as reasonably possible and optimally matched to the size of the burner. Now, if anyone is aware of a stainless steel 15 gallon magnetic kettle that is 12-13" in diameter ........

Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm ... question ... has anyone considered or tried running two induction cookers underneath their pots? I know Amazon has a popular 1800 Watt model, and two of those would be 3600 Watts, just run them on two separate 120V circuits. Maybe then you could get away with a larger diameter pot? I wonder if that would mess up the induction cookers having two of them going like that under the same pot?

Last edited by porcupine73; 11-21-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: 3600 watts

Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If anyone is interested, I collected data on the temp rise vs time with both the 15 gal mega pot and the 9 gal bayou classic. I can post it. The temperature rise is very impressive. Now, if anyone is thinking of BIAB with this setup, I can tell you that if you want to do a no sparge process, the 9 gal bayou classic kettle is undersized. It's just not possible if you want a reasonable gravity (e.g., 1.050+) without suffering low efficiencies and having to top up prior to boil. You will want to consider a 60 qt although now the diameter is growing. Bottom line: this Avantco 3500w induction burner is great for batch sparging but probably not optimum for BIAB no sparging. FWIW.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bayou Classic has a 15.5gall/62qt pot that has been used for induction. It's a little bit wider than the 9 & 11 gallon pots but the user reports getting 11 gallons up to a strong boil (insulated kettle)

link

EDIT: I'd love to see the times you charted since I will be using that exact setup - 3500w induction along w/ 9 gallon Bayou Classic. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherBrewer View Post
The problem that I see with the mega pot is the dimensions. It's on the order of 18" wide whereas the induction burner's actual heating area is 8.5". I get a good boil in the center at the bottom of the kettle but it dissipates as it rises through the volume of liquid. I'm quite certain that you want to keep the diameter of the kettle as small as reasonably possible and optimally matched to the size of the burner. Now, if anyone is aware of a stainless steel 15 gallon magnetic kettle that is 12-13" in diameter ........

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here's the data

avantco-ic3500-w-9-gal-bayou-classic.jpg  

Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BtW, the cover was on the kettle when these temps were measured.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73
Yes 1800 watts is probably just not quite enough juice to bring that much water to a rolling boil. You could add a bucket heater or heat stick on a separate circuit inserted into the kettle, that would likely do the trick.
Bingo. I use a 1800 watt Induction surface with a bucket warmer for full boils. I am usually starting with 8 gallons and ending with 6.75-7. It takes a while to get going but once it is boiling I turn down the Induction surface to 4 ( it maxes at 10) and keep the bucket warmer in it till the end of the boil. I end up with 6 gallons in the fermenter which gives me 5-5.5 at the end usually after 2-4 oz of dry hopping.

Steve da sleeve

Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Hm interesting chart data. I wouldn't have expected the temperature to rise so linearly. I'd of thought the rate of rise would have tapered off as the temp increased due to radiant losses out the pot. (Not questioning your data; it's just an interesting result, thanks for posting it!).

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
FisherBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The burner was set at 3500W for the test whereas subsequently I found that I can bring 6.5 gal to a rolling boil with this kettle at 2900W. So it was overpowered a bit and that's why the temperature rise was linear. The cover was on as well, which has a big impact on retaining the heat.

Quick Reply